Egg trying to zip...Update~He may just make it!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Mycookoonest, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Mycookoonest

Mycookoonest Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    I have Welsummer trying to hatch and it's "stuck" zipping. It seems to be upsidedown in the shell... the head is upsidedown. The other chicks are pecking at it and I already cracked open the bator (Just a crack) to shoo them away. But is this something I should help it with or just leave it be?

I can see the beak and it seems to be almost gurgling... opening and closing it...

Last edited: Jun 30, 2008
  2. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I had this happen just the other day. I swore last hatch I would NEVER help again after I helped one thats yolk wasn't absorbed(pipped almost 24hrs earlier) and it died. Never say never. I had a silkie that pipped then after 12+ hours is seems to be gasping, so I peeled some of the shell away, not touching the membranes and moistened the membrane with a wet, warm paper towel. I don't think my humidity was high enough, cuz the second one(only had 2) started doing the same thing. So as soon as I peeled the shell (only where the air cell was) and moistened with the paper towel they both just popped out. It seems to me(novice hatcher) that the gasping seems to be the point of exhaustion. I have limited experience, but I don't ever peel the membrane if there is more than residual amount of blood in those veins. Good luck and hopefully someone with more experience will chime in [​IMG]
    Krista
    Edited to say that I think maybe it might be exhausted and may need minimal assistance, I get sidetracked frequently [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  3. Mycookoonest

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    My humidity is around 92% from the other chicks hatching... I'm so nervous... it seems to be "foaming" around the membrane, probably from it trying to move around and can't.

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Are you sure it's upside down? When they're zipping their heads are tucked in and they look like they're upside down but they aren't. Sometimes they zip quickly and others take awhile. It's hard work and they stop and rest while they're working at it.

5. Mycookoonest

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    [​IMG]

You probably can't see it, but it's little beak us upside down in the hole.I can't see much because the foam is filling in the area around the chicks hole.

6. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Dont know what causes it, but I had a foaming chick in a Welsummer that got halfway zipped then died.

7. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Their beaks are upside down....it's the way their head is tucked in. I too had one a couple of hatches ago that was foaming and it didn't make it either.

8. Mycookoonest

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    Well I just finished the zip for it. First time for intervening... although I'm not optomisitic...

I do have the perfect room to do it... the bathroom. I turned on the shower, and turned on our heat fan. So it was muggy to say the least!

9. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    [​IMG] I hope it does okay for you! [​IMG]

10. Mycookoonest

May 29, 2008
    Hudson Valley NY
    He seems to be almost out of the shell ( I set him on a wet washcloth) but he's still curled up... I dunno... I'm trying to be optomistic. I don't think I can handle losing one and one hatching with a crossed beak all in one day! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by