1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by iron chicken, Sep 30, 2012.

1. iron chicken

iron chicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
    this may sound crazy, but i was wondering what kind of turkeys are good for eggs, also when do they start laying?

2. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
    All are `good' for eggs. They are seasonal layers (latitude/local weather/individual hens have to be factored in). Once a hen starts a nest, wait until there are at least two eggs (then remove one). If the hen thinks nest is being predated she'll switch locations. Example: RP jenny, hatched in June `05, started `throwing' an occasional egg in 12/05 (three total). Then no more until early March of `06. Slate jenny (same age) didn't start until early April of the same year. This jenny (same line as above RP) got started 2/14/12 (yes, over the fence and into the woods - unacceptable). Last winter was very mild: [​IMG] They'll lay through the summer if eggs are being collected. Additional lighting can lengthen `season' but method can lead to problems: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/agcomm/magazine/spring05/night.htm

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  3. Narragansett

Narragansett Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2011
    No breed of turkey can be considered "good" for eggs, in terms of being efficient, highly productive or having an extended or year round laying season like many chickens. Some sources claim that the so-called Midget White (not the Beltsville Small White) was developed by the University of Massachusetts as a small somewhat more efficient layer, by selecting for small size, lean egg production body type and of course increased production, because they needed quantities of turkey eggs for research. It is doubtful that any pure birds of that original strain exist that are available to the general public. If it's eggs that you need, you'd be much better off with chickens, some ducks or even Chinese geese than any turkey breed.

4. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    I agree with this, turkeys lay 100 to 120 eggs a year and chickens lay 300 eggs a year at about 10% the feed costs. Grow them for meat and hatch the eggs or sell them as hatching eggs, if they are fertile, but they are eatable and delicious if you do want to eat them, but even restaurants that serve only Turkey meat, use chicken eggs. They say, wholesale turkey eggs for eating sell for over $7 a dozen and this was on TV about a half dozen years ago! [​IMG]

5. mamawolf544

mamawolf544 Unbreakable Heart

Apr 29, 2009
    alvarado, Tx
    I raise Midget Whites among other heritage breeds, they only lay 60 to 80 eggs a year.

They were made for a small table bird, not for egg production. They were almost extinct but they brought them back, but they are still on the critical list.

But all the above statements are true, if you are wanting eggs then turkey's are not for you. But they are wonderful, curious animals and I have switched to mainly raising turkeys. But for a good 8 months out of the year you are just feeding them. [​IMG]

6. iron chicken

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
    thanks for all the help, I will stick with chickens for eggs.[​IMG]

7. Sally8

Sally8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2011
    Hornby,NY
    :rolleyes:

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  8. Celie

Celie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2012
    Tickfaw, Louisiana
    I do not let my Holland Whites set their own eggs. I hatch them in the incubator, so they keep on laying. I put a large ceramic egg in their nests,so they know where they should lay and by doing this, they do not try to relocate their nests in an inconvient place.

9. iron chicken

Aug 7, 2012
    Fayettville, Arkansas
    does anyone know when turkeys start laying?

10. KrisH

KrisH Chillin' With My Peeps

I have read they usually begin the spring following their hatch

I will find out soon enough

RobertH

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by