egg turner making grinding noise & possibly not turning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by XoJennyxO, Apr 11, 2012.

1. XoJennyxO

XoJennyxO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Claremore, OK
    ok so my egg turner is making a grinding noise I think the temp is elevated too judging by the medical dig therm. the ont that lays on the eggs keeps falling off and the incubator is diff temps throughout the whole thing. Its a little giant 9200 (the newer version) and i tried unplugging it and plugging it back in.. im on day 5 of silkie eggs. i dont know if its still turning i dont think it is i think its stuck to the left. (Ive been gone all night and just returned home) How do i fix this?

2. XoJennyxO

XoJennyxO Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2012
    Claremore, OK
    OK so it IS still turning and my temp is 101 on top of the eggs still but that new grinding noise is making me super paranoid. We JUST bought it the friday before Easter. Should we take it back or should I ride it out and see how this all goes? I'm just super paranoid that its going to overheat or go out completely and me wake up to dead eggs. Which I just candled tonight and saw VEINS!!! Just my luck come home and the mute hum is now a nerve wracking loud grinding noise that is SO not like it has been the past 5 days

3. loves2hatch

loves2hatch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2012
    Central Iowa
    Yes, take it back! Just take the eggs out of turner, you can put them in egg cartons you can cut slits or holes in the bottom sides of cartons then put the whole thing in the incubator and tilt them 3 -5 times a day until you get it replaced. I would think you would want to keep them up right since these were shipped eggs but I'm no expert.

I think it is the motor. I had one of these for years with no problems then last year the motor starting making noise. Lucky I had no eggs in it at the time and was just getting it ready before I got eggs. The guy at the store (he also hatches eggs and sells chicks and incubator stuff) said it was probably just the motor and I could buy a new motor, but I bought a new turner instead along with a new incubator from him. I gave him the old turner and He gave me a deal on both and threw in some quail eggs and some quail turner racks. Would it have lasted maybe, It might have just needed oiled or something too but I didn't want to chance it. I know nothing about motors, mine was about 11 years old but everything else looked new.

Hopefully somebody will chime in if they know about motors. But if I were you since it is new, just exchange it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by