Egg turner modification help

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Jedwards, Mar 13, 2017.

1. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    Hey everyone,

I currently have 2 egg turners that I would like to modify to better accommodate quail eggs. I have not been able to identify the model from what I have researched but I know they're older so idk if there are quail rails that exist for them or not but I haven't found any yet. So here's what they look like:
    [​IMG]

I can fit about 48 quail eggs in but would like to incubate 60+ at a time. So rather than spending $60 on another egg turner and having three I'd like to do a DIY modification so that it'll still fit in my LG and save a few bucks. I have 2 ideas:

A)Remove the cups and use plastic quail egg cartons attached to the metal rail, trimmed to 2x10 and put on each of the 6 rails. ($20/20 cartons ebay)

B)Buy farm innovator quail rails for another model turner and modify those and attach one to each of the 6 metal rails ($20 ebay)

Please let me know what you all think or if you have any other ideas. Thanks!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    I like to Modify too, but sometimes I weigh out everything and just sell the old and buy new. If you mod this, its going to take time and money----if you sell it used and apply that cash to a new turner--which will probably work better and last longer(old turner motors don't seem to last forever)---you might come out better. Example below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/RITE-FARM-P...hash=item1eb3a640fa:m:mHPExk_R9foddlq9G_B5xlg

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  3. Jedwards

Jedwards Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2014
    Berks County, PA
    That's true. I like that model in the link there. It's not a bad price and doesn't ship from China. Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by