Egg turner or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zbraswell92, Feb 1, 2013.

1. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    I have a hovabator incubator. Its about 2'x2'. It has the heat cable at the top of the inside. It is a styrofoam box. Do I need an egg turner for the 20 duck eggs I'm going to order or would they get enough 'all around' heat from the top heat wire? If I need one where is a good place to order one?
    Any help would be great!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Turning is not about heat. There are a lot of things going on inside the egg during incubation and turning helps make some of them better. There is a difference in what can happen and what will happen each and every time without fail so all the things I’m going to say won’t necessarily happen to each and every egg. But your odds of success go up tremendously if you turn the eggs.

One danger is that the yolk or developing chick can migrate to the side of the egg and touch the shell. That shell is porous. It’s possible the yolk or chick can get stuck to that shell and dry out. Or it can get stuck and not be able to move to pip and zip if it survives that far.

Body parts are developing, especially early on. If the egg is not turned, those body parts can develop in the wrong place. These chicks, ducklings, poults usually die before they hatch.

There are other things that turning helps that has absolutely nothing to do with heat. You really do need to turn them.

You can turn them by hand. You don’t absolutely need an automatic turner, although I think mine is great. You can go to the gqf site. They make the hovabators. Look for the sales number and talk to them.

http://www.gqfmfg.com/store/front.asp

3. zbraswell92

zbraswell92 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2011
    Roswell, Ga
    Could I turn them 2 times a day? Is that enough?

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I hate magic numbers. You are dealing with living things and you can get different results. I’ve heard a minimum of three times a day but I really don’t know what that is based on. There is usually a reason these numbers come up but unless you know that reason, you don’t know if that reason applies to you.

What you want to avoid is leaving them in one position a whole lot of the time. Some people recommend and odd number of turns so you don’t leave them in the same position every night, but how that works out depends on your schedule. If you are gone to work for a long time during the day, you might need a different schedule. The long period for repeating may be while you are at work, or maybe a long one at night and a long one during the day.

5. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    Go with the turner, definitely! If you are worried about them being too close to the heating element you can always get an extender for the HB, but I don't think it's necessary unless you are incubating goose eggs or something similar...

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

That about sums it up.

A turner just saves you time in turning and reduces how often you have to touch the incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by