1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg Turner Quit, Turning Manually

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 303hunter, Sep 30, 2015.

1. 303hunter

303hunter Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    I bought a Janoel 48 incubator, back in March, and it's worked well until a month ago, when the turner quit. Could I just use an egg carton bottom in the incubator instead of the turner to hold the eggs? The incubator holds temp and humidity well, and it's not that much trouble to turn the eggs.

2. onesweetfarm

onesweetfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2011
    Rhode Island
    I have hatched plenty in an incubator without a turner. You can lay the eggs on the side, mark with a pencil, and turn them twice a day. Just do so quickly so that you don't change the temp/humidity in the incubator too much. Good luck!

3. 303hunter

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    I tested my egg turning ability with 3 eggs. All three hatched this morning!
    It actually makes me feel more involved.

4. 303hunter

Mar 15, 2015
    Fayetteville, NC
    Started 12 eggs in the same incubator a few days ago, and now the counter is counting backward! It has been counting from 21 down, now it's counting up, and it's on 26. Have I done something wrong, or do I need a new incubator? The instructions are not very helpful.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by