egg turner vs egg carton hand turning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dfchaser, May 13, 2008.

1. dfchaser

dfchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2008
    NC
    I have been looking to get an egg turner, but have recently found a bunch of reviews against them. The reviews said that hatch rates dropped and ones claiming that the turners break all the time. I was wondering what is your experience with the turners? Is it a good 40.00 or is it more worth it for me to use egg cartons propped up and turn them?

2. wilds of pa

wilds of pa Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, we hatch 1000's of eggs here a year, so hand turning is out. If we gots to go somewhere, we also dont worry about eggs that may need turning..

If your just hatching a few times a year you could hand turn, but with most folks being very busy the turner is a god send...

Id say they are worth every penny...[​IMG]

Charlie

3. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    yeah automatic turners beat the hand
    it is again worth every penny

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I don't hatch thousands, but I wouldn't be without my turners. Before I was always forgetting to turn them and now I don't have to worry about it. Certainly worth the money for me.

5. chickenlisa

chickenlisa Invincible Summer

Apr 9, 2007
    me too. I'm a newbie hatcher, but a too busy mom- working and running all the time it seems. This takes the thinking and remembering out of it and I can just enjoy waiting (?) and watching. I love the turners!

6. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    I hand turned mine and used an egg carton. This was my first hatch and all 13 came out great. I just made a little chart on a piece of paper so I'd know for sure when I had turned them.

7. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Here are the new babies, hanging out in a plastic storage bin and mom's good towel.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  8. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    We have an auto turner and love it!!!

I was willing to turn by hand but we had just gotten our Harley around the same time that I wanted to get into hatching and Skip told me to get the turner so it didn't interfere with our Sunday rides. He got no argument from me! [​IMG]

Dawn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by