Egg Turning question...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickie Mamma, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Hello, Do I stop turning the incubating chick eggs the START or the END of day 18? I set them in the evening the day I got them. I was always wondering, but I usually have early hatches. Today is day 17. Thanks..

2. UrbanMama

UrbanMama Gone Country....

Sep 27, 2008
    Massachusetts
    I always stop at the end of day 18. And I usually end up setting them at night too....so I count 24 hours as one complete day. Does that make sense? [​IMG] Early hatches are usually due to temp/humidity problems. Usually the bator is running just a bit on the warm side. Though, it's very common for your first egg to pip on day 19 or 20 and the rest to finish 21-22. I think the "21 Days" thing is an average.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  3. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

yup,,, what she^ said [​IMG]
    stop turning at the end of day 18,, that gives them 3 days,,,day 19,20,21,,, of no turning.

4. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Same here I stop turning and up the hum late on day 18.

Hope you have a great hatch !!

5. PrisonARNP

PrisonARNP Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2008
    Leavenworth, Kansas
    Quote:I didn't know you were suppose to stop turning them. I have a automatic turner and left it on the entire time. The chicks still made it out OK 5 hatched, one partial hatch and died and one was only partially developed in the egg, probably died the week before. You learn something new every day. I also didn't know about the humidity thing, I just added some water to the incubator thru the water hole at the beginning and after 2 weeks. I never knew what the humidity was. I guess luck plays some big part in the hatch as well. dc

6. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:I didn't know you were suppose to stop turning them. I have a automatic turner and left it on the entire time. The chicks still made it out OK 5 hatched, one partial hatch and died and one was only partially developed in the egg, probably died the week before. You learn something new every day. I also didn't know about the humidity thing, I just added some water to the incubator thru the water hole at the beginning and after 2 weeks. I never knew what the humidity was. I guess luck plays some big part in the hatch as well. dc

Wow, lucky your hatched turned out good. Your hum day 1-18 should be around 30% - 40% then on day 18 you should unplug the turner lay the eggs on there side or in cartons (big end up) and up the hum to around 65%

I have heard of people letting them hatch in the turner, but have also read a lot of post about chicks getting stuck and killed in the turner. I dont have a turner in mine so all my chicks hatch on there sides (looks much eaiser that way)

If you have a Walmart in your area you can buy a hum gauge for about $6.00. I would recomend you get one since hum plays a big part in hatching, if you dont have a Walmart your local hardware store should have them also.

Here is some info on dry incubation (this is how I do mind and works GREAT for me) You will find that everyone has a different way that works for them.... And after a few hatches you should you find a way that works for you.... https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.html

Last edited: Dec 30, 2008
  7. Chickie Mamma

Chickie Mamma Farmer at Heart

Apr 20, 2008
    Sherman, CT
    Thanks... its what I thought. I count the 1st 24 hours as one full day too. But I catch myself looking at the incubator on the morning of the 18th day wondering if I should turn them again or not. They usually hatch for me on the 20th day. Temp 100 to 102 (still air). They still come out early.. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by