egg turning

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chittyn, Dec 19, 2011.

1. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    Hey guys im looking to hatch some more eggs. However my incubator is manual one and im afraid that i might not be able to turn them frequently. i will be able to turn them at 7:15 am 6:00 pm and 10:00 pm will this be ok to hatch successfully.

Thanks

2. Fleabuskitty

Fleabuskitty Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    That should work [​IMG]
    I hand-turn eggs because I have a homemade incubator and no turner. I usually have school so I turn them before I leave (about 6:45AM), as soon as I get home (3:30 or 4PM) and at night around 9 or 10PM. You have to turn an odd number of times so that the eggs are not on the same side two nights in a row.

3. chittyn

chittyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 27, 2011
    any other opinions ??

4. williamsl77

williamsl77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2011
    Northeast
    While I have heard that it is best to turn 5 times a day, I've also heard people say they turn less with good outcomes. I myself have an automatic turner because I am sometimes gone for 30 hours at a time for work. My hubby often takes care of things when I'm gone, but I'm glad to minimize the parts of my hobbies he has to fill in for. Anyway.... I digress.

Good luck!

5. dickhorstman

dickhorstman Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Dec 8, 2009
    burgettstown,pa
    Before we started using automatic incubators I turned eggs once a day. I dont think there is much difference in hatch rates.

6. Ukiah

Ukiah Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2011
    AL
    I've lost the thread, but someone here turned the eggs once during the entire 21 days. They had
    I believe a 99% hatch rate. To answer your question, that is enough with-out a doubt.

Ukiah

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by