Egg under broody is chirping; what next?

Summer98

Songster
8 Years
Sep 11, 2011
I have a broody Australorp sitting on some eggs. One of the eggs is chirping inside and I don't hear any chirping on the other eggs. When are they going to start pipping their way out of the shell? Today is the first time I heard chirping. What do I need to do next, if anything? I'm very excited, as this is my first time hatching out my own eggs. Is it bad to be moving the eggs and looking at them in my hand? Will the momma hen help the babies break free?

If the eggs are all the same age she sitting on, give it a week or so. But if the eggs are newer give it time. Let momma take care of it. try not to bother. some hens will be upset and may eat her eggs!

Momma hen will let nature take it's course. They'll probably start hatching soon if you can hear them chirp already. Better leave them to it and try not to disturb them. I know it's hard!

I have a broody Australorp sitting on some eggs. One of the eggs is chirping inside and I don't hear any chirping on the other eggs. When are they going to start pipping their way out of the shell? Today is the first time I heard chirping. What do I need to do next, if anything? You don't need to do anything. I'm very excited, as this is my first time hatching out my own eggs. It is fun, isn't it? Is it bad to be moving the eggs and looking at them in my hand? I don't know that I would say "bad", but it's best if you don't disturb her and her eggs. Will the momma hen help the babies break free? She'll sit and let them hatch. Strong, healthy babies don't need "help to break free".

Momma hen will let nature take it's course. They'll probably start hatching soon if you can hear them chirp already. Better leave them to it and try not to disturb them. I know it's hard!
X2

It's hard to not keep checking on them. There is a small crack on the shell (but no hole) on the one that is chirping. I can feel the chick inside moving around. The other eggs have no sounds. I tried to do the homemade candler (flashlight and toilet paper roll) to see inside them, but it didn't illuminate very well. It looked like nothing. Maybe I will just get one chick after all. Should I have some water and chick feed ready for the one?

Yes have food and water ready ! Use the flashlight WITHOUT toilet paper, use your hand to cover flashlight then egg on the end where your index finer and thumbs are. you should see better .

I have a broody Australorp sitting on some eggs. One of the eggs is chirping inside and I don't hear any chirping on the other eggs. When are they going to start pipping their way out of the shell? Today is the first time I heard chirping. What do I need to do next, if anything? I'm very excited, as this is my first time hatching out my own eggs. Is it bad to be moving the eggs and looking at them in my hand? Will the momma hen help the babies break free?

i have no advice sorry but its so exciting i bet you cant wait to see the lil chick , i cant wait to get a broody hen so i can let her do the work and not my incubator . pleased to meet you all by the way
wink.png

The chick hatched over the night time hours! It looks healthy. Momma hen is very protective of it and keeps it underneath her. Now I'm wondering where I should move them? The reason is, they are all up in a very tall nest box and I don't want the baby chick that hatched to fall off the nest box to its death. But the momma wants to keep setting on the remaining eggs. I also need space to lay out a chick waterer and feeder. Maybe on the floor of the coop? Or should I move them all into a new location away from the coop? I'm worried about the other birds trying to kill the baby. I'll post a picture soon.

Also, I candled the eggs last night with an led flashlight and my hand. The one egg looked porous and had nothing in it. The other two eggs had a dark blob in it, so they are fertile. But I don't think they are very far along, perhaps? How long will momma keep setting if they are too far apart in age?

Congrats on the new arrival.
As already stated, let Momma do what she does.
Chickens have small brains but big instincts, Momma knows best.
I know it is difficult not to check the processes, but go to a movie or read a good book and let Nature take it's course.
Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom