Egg under my EE officially a DUD 8(

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Aframechickens191, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Well' here is the promised update on my broody EE hen and the 2 eggs she was sitting on:

She shoved the oegb egg out of the box (not sure how she did it; theres a 2 in. ledge there to keep straw in)
    Luckily, the roo didnt touch it and I was able to see that it had no growth in it.

However, she was setting and gaurding her own little egg very fiercely and didnt push it out, so I assumed there had to be a baby in it, and waited excitedly until the due date rolled around and saw that it hadnt even pipped.... [​IMG]
    So, I decided that maybe it would just be a little late at hatching and left it there for 3 extra days....

Went out yesterday, fed up, and split the egg, praying I wouldnt find a chick in there at all.
    The egg only developed to about a week or so. itty bitty head with a barely visible form, but dead nonetheless.

No babies this year; maybe she will get broody next spring and i can put more eggs under her [​IMG]

2. RioLindoAz

RioLindoAz Sleeping

Jul 8, 2007
    Yuma, Arizona
    It's very likely she'll go broody again next year, or even later on this year.

If you want her to hatch chicks, you should separate her from the flock and give her a nice airy nest. This will keep other hens from bothering her and will promote chicks at the end of her term.

~RIO

3. Aframechickens191

Aframechickens191 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    NW Ohio
    Thanks [​IMG] I have her in a pen with just one other chicken; her Phoenix rooster! I do hope she goes broody again, i would love to see what the cross turned out looking like!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by