EGG UNDER THE ROOST

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DLS, Jul 20, 2008.

1. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

I found a pullet egg UNDER the roost cracked. The hen must have layed her first egg on the roost last night.. maybe in her sleep. she is 18 weeks old today. I wonder if this is common? or will she learn? her nest mates have been laying for 2 weeks.-- in the nest box--- hope this is not a trend.Any one ever heard of this?
    D

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Heya -

I've had it happen once or twice, but not as a regular thing. I wouldn't worry about it, she'll probably get it right the next time. (or she'll lay it someplace else, LOL).

Peace -
    Meriah

3. DDRanch

DDRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2008
    California
    When mine started laying, a couple of them laid their first eggs somewhere other than the nesting boxes. Make sure you have enough nesting boxes to accomodate everyone and some have recomended placing a golf ball or fake egg in the boxes to encourage them to lay in the right place.

Anne

4. miss_inscan

miss_inscan Out Of The Brooder

Jul 14, 2007
    Troutdale, OR
    Sorry, but my Bonny lays from the roost EVERY day. She thinks that it is the place to lay. I've tried to stick her in the nest when she's about to lay, but she only throws a fit trying to get out.
    I try to have lots of shavings to pad the fall, so the egg doesn't break. We may come up with some kind of net to catch it.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Typically eggs laid off of the roost are from early layers (who haven't figured things out yet) or from being startled during the night. If it's the latter, I would look into how secure your coop is or you could have rats.

Jody

6. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    What size are the nest boxes and how far off the floor are they?

My hen will lay eggs every 25 hours and then when she's scheduled at night she waits until the next day to have it. Maybe yours couldn't hold it any longer? Just a thought but probably not very likely.

7. brownfarms

brownfarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    San Diego Area, CA
    This absolutely drives my husband NUTS! He has a "talk" with the girls every time it happens. They're just like teenagers though; they listen politely then do what they want anyway.

8. MsBentleyboy

MsBentleyboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 16, 2008
    Kentucky girl
    Quote:[​IMG]

9. DLS

DLS Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:[​IMG]

I wondr if she said WHOOPS?
    [​IMG]

10. lovemychicks9

lovemychicks9 Chillin' With My Peeps