Egg viability after a broody has sat on it

Fentress60

In the Brooder
Aug 15, 2020
My nest box is choked with broodies. I have been letting them sit, hoping to get some eggs that have not been sat on and them set up a broody separately. not going to work out that way. My question is, if a broody has been sitting on an egg for just for one day and then I take the egg and it cools off, is that egg still viable, to place with a clutch of eggs when I separate the broody with her eggs. Rephrased, can an egg that has started incubation for about 10 hours be stopped, cool off and restarted?

So I am not a pro- but u had a hen setting who decided to get up and leave. I left them a couple days to see if she would go back and she didn't. I am currently waiting for them to hatch in the incubator. 7 of them and all seem to be doing well and rocking in there! So I think it can be done- well mine were outside but I am sure cooled down before I pulled them. Good luck!

Not really, but maybe, is the best answer.
I had an egg that accidently got put in the refrigerator for around half an hour, after it had been sat on for around a day.
That egg was killed, whereas I have successfully hatched refrigerator eggs before. (so it wasn't just the actually temp, rather it was that it had started to grow, and then got cold)
If you keep them at room temp, there is a better chance they will survive. (which would have been the case with the poster above)

Back
Top Bottom