egg viability

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happymorrows, Nov 20, 2010.

1. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    How long can an egg be "uncovered" and still be ok? Does that make sense? If I have a broody hen in one box, and a chicken lays an egg in another, how long is that egg viable, or, how long do I have to get it under the broody?

2. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    Quite a while. The issue is to get all the eggs under the broody hen at the same time, so they all hatch at approximately the same time. You don't want the eggs hatching over a period of days and days. The hen will either abandon unhatched eggs, or fail to care for the early hatching chicks. Not good either way.

I generally save eggs for a few days, up to a week, and then put them all under the hen at once.

3. suzettex5

suzettex5 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2009
    California
    You can collect for about a week, bring them in the house, and keep them pointy side down, turn 1/4 turn every 4-6 hours to keep them viable. You do want to put them all under the broody at the same time, like the previous poster said. A staggered hatch almost never works with broody hens. A day ot 2 may be ok, but after that she will go foraging with her new chciks and abandon any unhatched eggs.

That said, I have had eggs in the fridge almost 13 days that still hatched in my incubator, so eggs are pretty tough!

Good luck and keep us posted!!! [​IMG]

4. happymorrows

happymorrows Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Morganton, NC
    1/4 turn keeping pointy side down? Or rotate pointy end 1/4 turn from the floor each time? Sorry, SUCH a newbie when it comes to hatching. I haven't started this yet, I had a barred rock start to get broody, but I didn't let her as I don't want babies from my current (mean) rooster. He is going, I'm getting a new roo, and I'm hoping my barred will get broody again. At which point I like to know what to do BEFORE the process starts to I don't make mistakes!

5. lauralou

lauralou Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2007
    Central Virginia
    I don't do anything special to my eggs while I'm collecting them. I just put them in a wicker basket on my kitchen counter. On their sides. I imagine they may get rolled around a little as I add new eggs... They really are pretty tough!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by