1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg w/o ANY shell

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Noncentzter, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    My NHR just started laying last week, but I haven't seen any eggs from her this week. Today I was out earlier than normal to take care of the girls. I noticed that Hermione was acting strangely, but didn't think anything of it. All of a sudden the other girls were around where Hermione had been and there was an egg on the floor without any shell at all and they were eating it up. I noticed that Hermione had an "eggwhite" string hanging from her backside too. Now I know why I haven't been getting any eggs from her. I have free choice oyster shell available, so any clue as to what the problem might be? They are all on layer feed too.

john

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I mix the oyster shell in with my feed. I know it's a bit wasteful, but it almost forces them to take a little when they are eating their layer pellets.

3. Noncentzter

Noncentzter Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2009
    Southern Oregon Coast
    Fortunately, she laid one today with a shell...I feel much better!

4. LarrySC

LarrySC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 28, 2010
    our's did the same thing on their first week of laying;; It never happened again;;; so far . Good luck.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by