Egg "waddle"?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DreamingOfAFarm, Oct 26, 2009.

1. DreamingOfAFarm

DreamingOfAFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    Kalamazoo
    I have Red link pullet who just turned 16 weeks old today. I let them free range in the afternoons and today she's waddling around like a duck! Is this a pre-laying behavior or is it something else?

I have 8 girls total but she's the only link and the only one who's "waddling."

2. DreamingOfAFarm

DreamingOfAFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 12, 2009
    Kalamazoo
    bump

3. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    I don't know if they waddle or not, but I noticed one of my EE's yesterday (who has been laying for 3 weeks) doing a kind of waddle- looking like she needed to lay an egg. She had been up in the nest when I came outside and she came down to see what treats I had- she was frantically walking back and forth making a lot of noise then when she turned it looked as though she was walking bow-legged- she then made a beeline for the nest and after she laid her egg- stopped walking like that.
    So although I'm not sure if there is such a thing as an "egg waddle" I did notice something similar.
    You would be so very lucky to get an egg at 16 wks- congrats if you do [​IMG]
    My first egg was at 2.5 wks (SLW) and I still have an EE who hasn't laid yet at 27 wks

4. Metanoia

Metanoia Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    South Australia
    Is she still waddling?
    I hope she isn't egg-bound

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by