Egg was wiggling and chirping but stopped on hatch day

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lilaby Babys, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    I have an egg that has been wiggling for four days and now it is hatch day and i dont see wiggling or peeping, im so scared, because I only have one chick. is it possible for them to die of lonelyness? and is the chick inside the egg dead?

2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    It is probably soaking up the rest of the yolk and blood. If you makes noises (tap on the shell or bator side, peep), does it peep or move?

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    It may be dead. If you see a w the chick make a hole o
    In the shell and can find an open beak, go get a Small bottle of bovidr labs poultry nutri-drench and give the chick one drop in beak. Put some on a q-tip Rub on beak the chick may be exhausted and this supplement which doesn't need digested will give strength to keep hatching. The trick here is it doesn't need digested like sugar water and other helps so. Chick can use it while still in the shell . Get at tractor supply or feed store. HTTP://www.nutridrench.com for you other chick , give one drop only mouth. Then put 1/2teaspoon on one quart water. Use like this for first two weeks to get off to a strong start. No other supplements needed. Just chi k feed. Drench water an ...After one week old give granite chick grit. Best, Karen

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  4. Lilaby Babys

Lilaby Babys Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2017
    I probably made a mistake but I pipped the shell for it because I really didn't want it to suffocate, it hadnt pipped before then so I was worried. I can see it moving and breathing in there. It is trying to break some pieces off so that must be a good sign right? I also cant go to the store currently We are slim on gasoline so I am just hoping for the best.

5. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    It sounds good. Before hatching, there is often a rest period where the chick finishes up the rest of the yolk and blood. The time varies; it's normal and the chick is usually quiet during that time. Let us know how it goes!

6. 2MorrowsDream

2MorrowsDream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2017
    Sanger, Texas
    I live in north Texas so rigt now the highs are in the upper 60s to lower 70s during the day and in the 50s at night. My chicks have featbered out all except their hinnys and tbeir heads. Do you think it is safe to put tbem outside now? I can put a heat lamp out there for them.

7. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas

What ?

8. 2MorrowsDream

2MorrowsDream Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2017
    Sanger, Texas
    I currently have them in a horse trough with heat lamp in our game room. My question is....when is itsafe to put them in an outside coop?

9. TheKindaFarmGal

May 4, 2016
    Yeah, I think they'd be ok. How old? Have they been acclimated already?

10. eggbert420

eggbert420 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2017
    Texas
    Oh, feetbered= feathered out . I thought you meant there feet were out of the shell . You can put them out I put mine out yesterday and I live in Central Texas

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by