Egg Wash?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by v.cyr, May 10, 2011.

1. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    I am going to be making an simple egg washer(the bubble type, with a 5gal bucket, an air compressor, and some pvc pipe) to clean the eggs I am selling, because I am getting tired of scrubbing off each egg individually... do you need to add any thing to the water to clean them better, detergent or anything?.... or does the plain water and bubble action do OK by itself?... thanks in advance

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I always put a little bit of bleach in the water I use -- like 1/4 cup in a half gallon of warm water. I have heard of people using a tiny bit of detergent, but I'm afraid it would get through the shell and leave a flavor or odor. I guess a lot of rinsing would make sure it doesn't, but detergent is a surfactant and makes things more porous, breaks down barriers such as the egg membrane and allows things to penetrate.

I guess you could try a tiny bit and see what it does. That "Fit" vegetable wash stuff they came out with a few years ago to clean produce is nothing more than highly diluted, unscented Dawn detergent, and that washes off without leaving any residue or flavor.

I like the bleach, because it kills pathogens and also if there are any dirty spots, they bleach out, leaving a very pristine, clean egg.

3. GiddyMoon

GiddyMoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Tucson, AZ
    Just to let you know, I have noticed many companies have boosted the amount of product they tell you to use, to basically sell more. For daycare use ages ago, when we disinfected all the tables and such..the recommended amount of bleach to use was a tablespoon to gallon of water. This amount is enough to kill and destroy. I would start low and add a tablespoon at a time if need be.

4. v.cyr

v.cyr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2010
    Greene, NY
    so a little bleach is good?... would that cause any color change in brown eggs?(not a huge concern, just curious)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by