1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg washing question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kushball21, Jun 17, 2011.

1. kushball21

kushball21 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Harveys Lake, PA
    first time chicken owner here!!!! i bought some chickens from MPC and they are set to hatch on July 26 so i'm still reading up on chickens!!!! this website has been a big help so far!!!!![​IMG] my question is do you wash your eggs when you collect them or do you wash them before you use them? also how and what do you wash them with?

p.s. [​IMG] chicken math....ordered 8 then ordered 8 more can't wait so eggcited!!!!!!! [​IMG]

2. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
    http://smallfarm.about.com/od/farmanimals/a/How-To-Clean-Eggs.htm

check
    out this site...

No, don't wash them, you remove the protective bloom and actually with cold water, you will push bacteria into the egg...read the article, but most will tell you, you really don't need to, they are usually clean, minus a feather or two stuck to it...some buyers actually like that, knowing they are fresh. You can rinse them before using I guess if you feel better about it.

Welcome and chicken math....yes, we all know it well!

3. kushball21

kushball21 Out Of The Brooder

May 30, 2011
    Harveys Lake, PA
    thanks JodyJo....i've read many different articles on washing the eggs and have also seen egg washing solutions so i was just wondering what everyone does with their eggs.

4. FeatheredObsessions

FeatheredObsessions Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2010
    Oregon
    I don't wash my eggs either

5. luvinrunnin

luvinrunnin Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2011
    Don't wash ours either. They don't really have any nest boxes right now, so lay them in the dirt(mostly sand) in their hut so sometimes they are a little dirty. But I never wash them until I use them, and then only if they are dirty. Will be building them some nest boxes shortly so won't have that issue any more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by