egg washing

Littlecimarron18

Songster
12 Years
Jan 3, 2008
Colorado
well hello again. = )
ok so i get around 2 eggs a day right now, not bad, i can just put them in the sink and give em a quick rinse and then wipe em off and put them in the cartons.
BUT next monthish my 50 other pullets will be laying so then i'll be getting more like 70 a day! i've seen those buckets that have the air pump, does anyone have one? do they work good? how do you guys that get more than 50 wash em?

I don't wash mine.

I give away all the clean ones, and ones with little smudges or whatnots we keep - I will wash them right before cooking - until then they keep their dirt and their bloom!

This is interesting. Anything I've read on other forums said you are not supposed to wash eggs because they lose their bloom (blume?).

i know they lose the bloom, but i lose customers if they are not spotless? they have an egg wash. does that put bloomy stuff back on the egg?

Hmmm.........I don't know about the special egg washer, but it sure sounds interesting!

Congratulations! I'm sure you make lots of money with those delicious eggs! Be sure to feed them grass - it makes the yolk more orange.

Good luck!

Make sure the water is a little warmer than the eggs so that bacteria isn't pulled into the egg through the shell.

I don't wash mine. I do wipe the bits and fluff off of them.

I took a carton to work the other day and there was a small red feather in the carton! Someone asked me if that was my authentication that they were backyard fresh, lol!!

Back
Top Bottom