Egg washing

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by Doubletap, May 11, 2010.

1. Doubletap

Doubletap In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    I have some quail that just started laying. Of course they eggs have droppings one them when I get to them. How should I clean the eggs so they are safe for my children to handle?

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I think that there are 2 camps on this issue. [​IMG]

Germ Worries and Non Germ Worries lol

My DD is 8 and she handles all sorts of poo-covered things in the barn. We just make sure that she washes her hands when she is done. And I am sure that sometimes she doesnt and after a lifetime of barn cooties, she has never been sick from it. (thank goodness)

If you are wanting to wash them off so that they can handle them after you collect, I just run mine under water in the sink and all of the yuck comes off. Just remember that you are washing off the 'bloom' also so if you are going to be selling them/incubating them you might want to leave them dirty

Hope this helps [​IMG]

3. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Songster

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    When I wash my eggs to sell. I make a dish water using just a little dish soap maybe 1/2 tsp or less. Then if I have a yuck egg. I dip in the water set aside and do the easy first then go back to the dipped ones and the dirty comes off easier.I dont leave any in the water.I just wet it and set aside to loosen dirty.This works for me.This is the eating eggs.
    I DO NOT wash hatching eggs.I sell the cleanest and set the dirty ones myself.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  4. Doubletap

Doubletap In the Brooder

Feb 17, 2009
    That makes a lot of sense. Thanks

5. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Songster

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I didn't see water temp mentioned. I've heard wash it in warm water so the heat expands it and pushes out any bacteria in the pores..?? It makes sense to me.. so thats what I do with my chicken eggs before they go in the fridge! I just run warm water and rub my hand over it..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by