Egg washing?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Pardee_Boy, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Pardee_Boy

Pardee_Boy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    Whats the rule of thumb when it comes to cleaning your eggs? I just got egg number one and number two today.

2. amaranth320

amaranth320 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    I thought you weren't supposed to wash them until you were ready to use them? Something about a protective coating on the shell... That's what I've been doing, at least!

3. midget_farms

midget_farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Dunlap Illinois
    A fresh egg has a 'cuticle'. A membrane on the outside of the shell that keeps moisture in. If you don't wash the eggs until you use them they will keep in the fridge for up to 6 months! If you wash them they will start to evaporate & not last as long.

Washing is a personal choice though - some eggs get pretty dirty. & I'd never have one last 6 months anyway.

If you sell eggs - you should wash them before you sell them.

4. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I don't wash them unless they are absolutely gross, and never wash eggs being used for incubation (but not a good idea to use dirty eggs for incubation). I don't sell mine and folk to whom I give them don't seem to mind a bit of dirt,
    Sandie

5. JMPE

JMPE Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2009
    Western Wisconsin
    In order to keep the bloom, I never wash my eggs. If I get a dirty one, I might gently wipe it. I don't sell eggs (not enough from my little flock), but when I give them away, I let my friends and family know that they have not been washed and why.

6. ZaneyMama

ZaneyMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2010
    Boulder, Colorado
    I have never washed my eggs. They have never been dirty, and I am always cooking them, not eating them raw.

7. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I will wash the really gross ones, but if you get them everyday it's unlikely that they will get gross. If I have questions about how clean an egg is when I go to use it I can wash it then.

8. Pardee_Boy

Pardee_Boy Out Of The Brooder

May 3, 2010
    Blissfield MI
    thanks everyone:D. I didn't wash number two today straight to the frying pan for a fantastic little breakfast.

9. agarita

agarita New Egg

Aug 1, 2010
    speaking of fantastic a breakfast - yesterday I watched an old episode on PBS of Julia Child making omelettes... not Martha with a flock of Easter Egg Chickens, but Julia knew how to make an omelette!

10. lamelde

lamelde Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2009
    Sparta, WI
    So... How do you wash an egg when you need to?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by