Egg weight loss (dry hatch) discrepancies

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by svenskavessla, Mar 10, 2015.

1. svenskavessla

svenskavessla Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2014
    Hi- this is my first "real" attempt at hatching (my last was just the see if my eggs were fertile, I didn't pay much attention, but it was and I believe would have been alright but it was breech and died).
    So! I have a Brinsea Mini Advance (pretty good so far). This time I have been candling and weighing the eggs on a schedule. My last time I believe the egg had too much humidity and didn't develop a proper air sac. So, back to this batch. They are not all losing weight at the same ratio, so I don't know what to do? I'm right at the 10 day mark, and while one egg has lost almost 10% of it's weight, another has lost only 1%. They all vary from the most extreme (10%) to 6% to 4% to 2 and 1%. Ideas? The humidity is right at about 35%. If I add more, the 1% won't lose, but the 10% loss worries me. Out of this batch (6) I had one that was a dud- no development, I got rid of it today. All the others are right on course. Just very different losses in weight. I'm perplexed. Most of them started out weighing (around) 45g. One weights 40g now and other 44g. I have no idea what would cause the difference. How worried about this should I be if they are all candling alright?

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    My thoughts: egg porosity is a contributing factor to how much an egg looses and how quickly. While I give all due repect to the ones who weigh the eggs, I find monitoring air cells as reliable and for me, easier. As long as the air cells are growing sufficently and the embryos look good I don't worry too much. I use this chart:

[​IMG]

3. svenskavessla

svenskavessla Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2014
    Thanks very much. I'm still getting used to what size the air cells should be and I'm more of a numbers person so I thought weight would be easier but I guess not the case! I'll just need to learn to start monitoring the air cells more... I do appreciate the advice! It makes a great deal of sense.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by