egg weight standard

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by C17, Nov 22, 2011.

1. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    Is there a chart or standard on what says whats a large egg, xL, ect ect. I know its on the weight of the egg..thank you and happy thanksgiving to all.
    kp

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

c17

I had this question too--- if you go to my BYC page, then click on the page that says charts-and-quotes, there is a table with weights and sizes.

Happy Thanksgiving to you too!

3. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    I was wondering this as well. That's a great chart, but what do you call an egg that's almost 40% bigger than "jumbo"? LOL I've had some 86g and 96g eggs recently from my pullets.

4. ChicKat

Quote:Maybe ?? Guiness Book of World Records?? lol

5. ChicKat

Wow Nonny,
    That's really big. The major source of that chart is the US Department of Agriculture.... maybe those Austrolorps just exceed USA sizes. Those are huge eggs....... wow. Does Australia have some different names/sizes?

6. wowmanacat

wowmanacat Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Oak Grove AR
    I found this and this is the chart that I use.
    [​IMG]
    Hope that this helps

7. C17

C17 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2011
    Blythewood
    Yes it does!
    May you continue to count your blessing each day

8. Nonny

Nonny Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Brisbane, Australia
    Quote:I found this that shows Australian ones.... if MEGA = XXXL = 72g, I'm guessing my 96g egg is probably XXXXXXL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_egg_sizes

We should make up a name for those whopping great double yolkers that show up in the nest box from time to time.... how about "behemoth"?

(Or possibly, "caesarean") [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  9. ChicKat

Nonny said:

I found this that shows Australian ones.... if MEGA = XXXL = 72g, I'm guessing my 96g egg is probably XXXXXXL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_egg_sizes

We should make up a name for those whopping great double yolkers that show up in the nest box from time to time.... how about "behemoth"?

(Or possibly, "caesarean") [​IMG]

Lol---- thanks for the post... Mega, behemoth--- yep, leave it to the Aussies to out do our Jumbo. ;O) I'm going to add those to my chart on my page....maybe a trend will start!!

10. SA newbie

SA newbie Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Two weeks ago had a 101g double yolker from my Black Austrolorp! Had never seen anything like that before! Longer than a standard wooden washing peg! My son had lunch immediately!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by