egg whites explode while frying

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by bluenet, Jan 5, 2008.

1. bluenet

bluenet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2007
    I was frying eggs sunny side up, and two of the four egg whites exploded! Really made a mess - went onto the floor, all over the stove, etc. Thankfully no one was right there to get it in their eyes.

Is there something wrong with the eggs, or is there something I can do to prevent this happenening again.

I have 3 Rhode Island Reds and they lay a large brown egg, good tasting too when they don't explode!!

Doesn't happen all the time.

2. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    [​IMG]

How old are they? Are you refrigerating them? Are they getting shook up?
    Are you frying using gas heat on high?

My guess is the freshness and thickness of the whites are causing an air bubble
    to form and pop. The higher the heat the more this may happen.

Just my guess....

3. bluenet

bluenet Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2007
    The chickens are about 9 months old, the eggs are no more than a day old when I cook them. Yes, I use gas heat, but I cook on low heat.

Do you think I should let the eggs sit in the fridge for a few days? Yes, I did notice an air bubble. Saw that before when I cooked, but I was right there by the stove and popped it before it exploded.

4. seedcorn

seedcorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    NE. IN
    It's just moisture trying to escape. pick up on the sides when frying to release the steam.

5. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    Quote:I wish I knew more about this one. Yes, let them sit a few days in the fridge
    before cooking. Maybe they just need to settle a bit.

Seedcorn may have a point to.

As everyone here knows, there is a big difference between store bought eggs
    and backyard eggs. I doubt there is anything wrong with your eggs or chickens.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I've had bubbles come up when frying eggs..... never exploded.... but I do put the corner of the spatula into the bubble to pop or make a hole in it.

7. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    why did you "steal" purple chickens avatar?

8. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:[​IMG] Cause mine got stolen! (I know purple would approve of me "borrowing it" for a while)

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
  9. mdbucks

mdbucks Cooped Up

Jul 14, 2007
    EXIT 109 on 95
    Quote:[​IMG] Cause mine got stolen! (I know purple would approve of me "borrowing it" for a while)

where did yours go??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by