1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg will crusty clear stuff on it should I throw it away

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Easter eggers, Dec 2, 2012.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    One of my eggs has a crusty clear suff on it possibly albumen I think it might of been cracked should I throw it away? Thanks

2. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Uh, not to be snarky, but if there were anything on my eggs that I was not expecting I would certainly throw them out. Yuck!

That would also go for cracked eggs, unless I was the one that cracked it and I used it immediately.

I assume you are referring to eggs that you eat?

3. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

If you're ever unsure of an egg, just toss it in a pan or boil it and feed it crushed, shell and all, back to your chickens, they'll love it.

4. cmfarm

cmfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Elgin, TX
    If if has crusty stuff on it it is probably oozing and rotten. I would throw it out.

5. Overoberyl

Overoberyl Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    This is the incubating & hatching eggs forum, so I'm pretty sure we are talking about set eggs, not eating eggs...

6. Overoberyl

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    I've had that happen a lot with shipped eggs, they look ok upon arrival, even when candled I can't see any visible cracks, then after a few days in the bator they start leaking slightly and the crust forms. Not one that has done this has developed at all, but they are usually not rotten at this point. However, you might as well toss it, unlikely it will develop.

7. stevetone

stevetone Chicken Advocate

Doh!

Then, definitely toss it. Dirty eggs are contaminated and will only grow worse when held at 100 degrees for 3 weeks.

There--fixed it [​IMG]

8. Overoberyl

Aug 29, 2012
    Florida
    [​IMG]

9. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Yes if the egg is weeping it is bad.

10. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011