Egg with blood in it (photo)

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jonalisa, Mar 4, 2015.

1. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    Hello all,

I know small amounts of blood in an egg is normal from time to time.
    Is this much blood normal?[​IMG]

Thanks...

2. Trexroo

Trexroo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 19, 2015
    north east mi
    I have been around chickens all my life, and haven't seen this.

can you give more information?

diet, age of hen, anything really.

3. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    All 9 of my hens are 10 months. They are all different breeds - I got them all together as day old chicks from MyPetChicken last April 28th.

8 of them began laying at around 5 to 6 mos except for my Buckeye. At about 5mos she developed a lump on her face which turned into a spongy type lesion covering the right side of her face. She's had various tests - near as we can guess it could possibly be a lymphoma. Other than the swelling, she seems perfectly healthy - however she only started laying 2 weeks ago. Since then she is more bold, friendlier and more active.
    Originally, I had started feeding layer feed when all 8 were laying, but then I realized it would be too much calcium for the Buckeye, so I switched to Flock raiser and offered oyster shells and egg shells.
    Since the Buckeye started laying, i have switched back to layer feed.
    They used to all mostly lay int the morning - but now I find some laying in the afternoon or even late afternoon. There are currently 6 nest boxes - of which they use 4.

Diet:
    Nutrena Layer feed 16% crumbles
    On very cold days, I boil up Quinoa and mix it into the dry food
    Treats every couple of days are dried meal worms, kale, cauliflower, barley fodder, plain yogurt, boiled hamburger, scratch (I recently gave them canned crickets)
    I change drinking water every other day - (2) 3 gal waterers with ACV or oregano oil or just plain

They are in a 10x10 coop and have a 12x16 enclosed run with a metal roof. Right now the run walls are covered in contractor plastic to keep out rain, snow, wind (not air tight, some areas are open)
    They were all wormed in the fall and checked for mites. They have access to a dust bath, but only 2 of them use it.
    I work at home so I am out there regularly throughout the day and I scoop all the time, so the place is pretty clean.

I can't really think of any health issues. I wish I knew who laid that egg.

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I've had that happen a couple times....different hens.
    Could be a one off, as it was with mine, or could be a defective reproductive system.

Only time will tell if it will continue or was a one time thing,
    don't jump to conclusions(tho it made me break eggs in a separate cup for awhile) or try to treat something that may not be there

Is this from the Buckeye?
    Could just be a start up glitch, you can get some pretty funky eggs in the first month or so.

5. jonalisa

jonalisa Codswallop!

May 28, 2013
    NH
    My Coop
    I am not sure who laid that egg - I can rule out my EE (blue egg) and my Golden Buff (darker brown) - so that leaves 7.
    I will keep an eye out and let the people I share eggs with know.
    Thanks for your help, Trexroo and aart!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  6. chickcrazyNC

chickcrazyNC Out Of The Brooder

Jul 26, 2014
    This happened to me too, I am also curious why...

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's usually from a broken blood vessel when the ova is released, some blood vessels are larger than others.

8. Trexroo

Jan 19, 2015
    north east mi
    if it were I, I would hold my concerns until the issue represented itself,as aart ses, there are a lot of ODD happenings with new layers. if the issue is not repeated and the bird is appearing healthy, then continue to hold the concern, and keep your eyes open for the future.

9. Trexroo

Jan 19, 2015
    north east mi
    Has there been another happening?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by