1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

egg with hole in air sell

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by peepsthebrassy, Mar 11, 2015.

1. peepsthebrassy

peepsthebrassy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    my egg is due to hatch tomorrow and 2 days ago i thought i killed it cuze it got really hot. I did not nave a thermometer in the spot it was in. and win i water candled it it did not move so i put a hole in the bottom of the air cell to look and see if it was breathing. i put it in the air cell so not to heart it(make it bleed). but i couldn't tell. so i left it lust in case. just yesterday i checked it again it was alive it wiggled when i put it in the worm water and i could even see the chick moving from the hole i made. the hole is not very big. i couldn't even stick my pinky finger in it. will the hole effect the chick?

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  2. MrsBrooke

MrsBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2014
    Magnolia, Texas
    NEVER water candle if the shell is broken, cracked, or has a hole in it.

You risk drowning your chick if water gets in.

If your egg is due to hatch tomorrow, you should have had it in lock down for the past two days undisturbed to allow the chick to orient itself and prepare to pip. Lock down starts end of day 18, and you do not touch the eggs until they hatch.

Put it in the incubator and LEAVE IT ALONE! No more water candling, no more regular candling, no nothing!

I hope he hatches!!!

MrsB

1 person likes this.
  3. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    ok[​IMG] and they were in lock down i did not think it was bad to handle them. and the water did not even go in the hole. it is only my second time hatching so i don't know why you are yelling at me.[​IMG]

4. JJSS89

JJSS89 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    She's getting the point across, not yelling at you.

You're dealing with a life remember, it's not about you [​IMG] it's about the chick

1 person likes this.
  5. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    well i did not know ok[​IMG]

6. JJSS89

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    MrsBrooke gave some good advice, hope for the best.

7. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    sorry if i angered you guys

8. JJSS89

May 14, 2014
    E Washington
    I don't think anybody is upset at anyone else [​IMG]

Go watch your chicks hatch [​IMG]

9. sjturner79

sjturner79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 5, 2015
    South Australia
    Good luck - a hole in the air cell can sometimes stop them pipping but I hope you get lucky. If you have only the 1 egg then you might be in for some troubles but if you have more wait for the others to hatch and if it still not pipped read assisted hatching.

10. peepsthebrassy

Jan 29, 2015
    montana
    the one with the hole has no eggs on the same date as it. But their is one that is suppose-to hatch tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by