Egg with no shell at all

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mvinson1978, Aug 3, 2008.

1. mvinson1978

mvinson1978 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2008
    Decatur, AL
    My RIR laid her 5 first eggs in 6 days and the next day she laid an egg with no shell at all. Just a perfect yolk and white. She hasn't laid anything since (3days). Is this normal?

2. chickiepoo

chickiepoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2007
    coastal South Carolina
    I understand it happens sometimes. Not a problem I don't think.
    I had one hen lay just the yolk once, then she laid a tiny egg that was just the white!

3. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I've never had ot happen here,but I've heard about it.

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    Does she have 24/7 access to oyster shell?

It does happen sometimes that a hen will lay an egg with a soft shell or no shell. Usually there is nothing to worry about, but you do want to keep an eye on her.

5. mvinson1978

Feb 25, 2008
    Decatur, AL
    Yes she has access to oyster shell. Her first 5 eggs had very thick hard shells. I've heard of the "leather" egg but this had nothing holding it together at all. Just a yolk and white in the nest box.

6. clarkestep

clarkestep Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2008
    N Metro Atlanta
    I just found the opposite! So I go to look and see if I've gotten any eggs and I look up on top of the nest boxes. And WHAT the blazes do I find? My first egg SHELL. All dried up and empty. It looks like it was paper thin and soft as it was shriveled up and flattened. I found it half hanging off the edge so I'm hoping it got laid there and broke and my girls didn't get to it. Oh well... I'm just NOT going to count that as MY first egg! lol

7. mvinson1978

Feb 25, 2008
    Decatur, AL
    Well she still hasn't laid another egg. I hope it's just because it's so darn hot.

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Hold old are your girls? Mine slack off during extreme heat/cold and when they molt, otherwise most days I get an egg from every one of them. [​IMG]

9. dixiechick

dixiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

In the various poultry workshops I have attended, I have heard that it is normal to lay an egg without the shell. The shell is the last thing the body puts on before it exits...if she was stressed/spooked, she might have rushed the process...and VOILA, no shell.

10. mvinson1978

Feb 25, 2008
    Decatur, AL
    Quote:They are 23 weeks old tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by