Egg with no shell ?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvzmybabz, Jan 8, 2008.

1. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    OK I have 2 hens laying right now 1 leghorn and 1 RIR I have 1 other leghorn and 2 other RIR these birds are older 2 1/2 years or so they just came here to live about 2 1/2 weeks ago only the 2 have laid since coming to live here. I also have a cochin hen and a cochin pullet neither has layed since coming to my house. the leghorn has been laying about every 1 1/2 days the RIR did not lay yesterday. All eggs to this point have been normal. They get layer pellets and a small amount of scratch as well as fee choice oyster shell. This morning there was an egg in a box neither one of the layers has used (each has her favorite and has only laid in that box ). Egg had no shell just a dried out membrane. What are the chances that this may be the pullet laying or will a hen lay no shell egg when starting to lay after a vacation? or are my older hens missing something they need?

Kasi

2. luvzmybabz

luvzmybabz Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    OK now I have another ? bizarely enough could this egg possibly have in front of a good egg? I caught the cochin hen in the box beside where this egg was this Am a little later she was in this box and then lo and behold poof she started laying yeah all my hens may so I either have 3 or 4 hens laying now. ? is could this have been a prelude to the egg that the cochin laid the no shell could have been anytime from 9:00 PM until 8 this morning?

3. Backyard Buddies

Backyard Buddies Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Orange County, CA
    I don't really have an answer for you since I'm going through a similar thing here at my house. I've posted the story and photos here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=27375

I've
    been trying some things and also have been reading the Chicken Health Handbook. Other than a few disorders/illnesses, shell problems are usually associated with a lack of calcium or deficiencies in Vitamin D that would keep the calcium from being properly absorbed. My girls get a lot of free range time, so Vitamin D should be absorbed simply from their time outside.

I've subscribed to this post and will keep you informed as I go through this with my little girl. Perhaps we can figure this one out together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by