1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg with Sap?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by judial8907, Jul 5, 2011.

1. judial8907

judial8907 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 5, 2011
    Ok I have been directed here by search engines and decided to join the community today, because I found it very informative. So I have a few questions.

1. I have a brown egg that I placed in my incubator on 6-21-11. It was fine until I went to candle and turn it today, and I noticed 2 spots on the outside of the shell, that looked like a honey colored sap. I know the egg is fertile and is very dark inside. Since the egg is brown it is hard for me to tell if the chick inside is alive or not. The only other time this happened to me was a few weeks ago, I had a silkie egg in the incubator that did the same thing. It was fertile and did the sappy thing and did not hatch. I got rid of the silkie egg (it did not explode), cleaned out my incubator and waited about another week before sitting a new batch of eggs. Now it is happening again and I don't know why any ideas? Will this ruin my other eggs? Any help would be great as I have about a half dozen that are due to hatch next week.

Now for the other question

2. I also have a duck egg in an incubator. Again the egg was fine but when I candled it this evening I noticed what I think is a blood ring. This was not there yesterday night , but is tonight. Will a blood ring develop that quickly and should I give up on it or might there be some hope and how could I tell?

Thanks in advance,
    Judi:)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  2. Hi Judi! The one that is leaking / weeping / oozing is likely rotting and could potentially explode.
    The only ones here that have done that have been old eggs or eggs that had hairline cracks that I missed when candling. Other than that I don't know what would cause it.
    What day of incubation is the duck egg on?
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa
    edited to add: WELCOME!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
  3. SierraView

SierraView Chillin' With My Peeps

I had a lot like that from my last batch of shipped eggs. They had small hard to see cracks and I tossed them out. I opened one and it exploded so I will always toss any that weep. Don't want to risk losing any good ones that I know are good.

4. judial8907

Jul 5, 2011
    The duck egg is on day 6 of incubation Dipsy Doodle Doo. I think that I am just going to toss the chicken egg. It just bums me out because it is supposed to hatch on the 11th. But I think you are right and I don't want to compromise the other eggs I have in there. Loosing one over 20 is better in the long run anyway.

5. judial8907

Jul 5, 2011
    I did remove the leaking egg, I placed it in a resealable plastic bag and went outside with it. Once outside I opened it and ewwww, there was a chick inside but there was a lot of liquid around it. The liquid looked like a milky egg yolk. It did smell bad from what I could smell through the bag, but I was not brave or stupid enough to open the bag and really smell it. Thanks for the advice and help, I am sure that doing that just saved my hatch. Now what about the duck? [​IMG]

6. Hi Judi! Good that you got the egg out before it could be a problem. It's brave enough of you to crack out a 'bad egg' --- I don't do that anymore because it is just too gross.
    Have you seen these 'candling duck eggs' pics at Metzer Farm. They are good ones and might help you tell if what you are seeing is a blood ring or a new vein growing. At Day 6, I bet (hope) it's a vein.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. judial8907

Jul 5, 2011
    I hope it is a vein too [​IMG] I am going to try to candle it tonite and get a good pic and post it so this way I can get even more input. The people on here are so informative and educational I am totally addicted [​IMG]

8. judial8907

Jul 5, 2011
    Pulled 3 more eggs out tonite after candleing them including the duck egg [​IMG] My husband brought home a much brighter light and 1 chicken egg not fertile. 2 chicken eggs, fertile at some point but I think died, everything in the shell was in pieces and dark and sloshing around. The one duck egg was a blood ring.

Rather than risk the other 12 eggs I pulled these. On the bright side the other 12 are definately fertile. I see either veins or movement, with his light I can also see tiny heartbeats [​IMG] I am really happy and hope that everything goes well, with these little guys/girls. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by