1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg with stretch marks? *pic included

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by schatze17, Sep 21, 2010.

1. schatze17

schatze17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    My RIR/Araucana hen (24 weeks old) usually lays nice brown eggs. For 2 days now, the eggs look like they have stretch marks on them and are spotted. Is that a sign of the shells being too thin? Our chickens get a grower/developer feed (17% protein) because only half are laying right now (all about the same age). Do they need a change in their feed or add oyster shell? Or is it too much calcium/protein?

Today's egg...

[​IMG]

For comparison...here's what her eggs normally look like...

[​IMG]

Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    Did you wash it yet? it looks like extra bloom.

3. ninjascrub69

ninjascrub69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2010
    Bloomingdale, MI
    Quote:I dont think its a sign that it has a thin shell... but you might want to offer oyster shell in a bowl next to the feeder or something (its not required but it helps alot with shell formation) [​IMG]

4. schatze17

schatze17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    When I wash off the egg, it looks like it goes away, but when the egg dries, you can still see the whiteness. The dark parts near the bottom of the egg are like scratches.

[​IMG]

5. jaimslee4u

jaimslee4u Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2009
    Maine
    I dunno, my kids tell me we get freckled eggs because we have freckled chickens....

6. berkeleysprings

berkeleysprings Chillin' With My Peeps

my marans do it from time to time , i wish i knew why , we call it a smokey egg
    Quote:

7. amyrains

amyrains Out Of The Brooder

May 23, 2010
    camden
    [​IMG] to cute sounds like something my little ones would say!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by