Egg withdraw for Septrin

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by liz allen, Nov 14, 2011.

1. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    My chickens are on a 7 day course of Septrin, as we had a a 3 chickens and one duck die.[​IMG] They were on a 5 day course of Baytril and Panacur immediatley before this as the vet didn't know what was wrong before tests came back so was covering all bases. (we had gape worm too caught from earth worms)(seems to be the more they free range the more susceptible they are to illness)
    After a necropsy we were told it was a very acute E coli infection usually caught from wild birds and rodents.
    Does any one have any experience of this drug ? or combination??
    does it work???
    what is the egg withdrawl period????

Many thanks in advance LIZ

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:On a UK website I found that septrin has a 1 week withdrawal....28 day withdrawal with baytril. Panacur has a 14 day withdrawal period.
    I've dealt with E Coli. Baytril in combination with probios and poultry nutri drench all mixed together to get the E Coli under control and bring good bacteria back in balance is the key. Septrin in place of baytril should work. I hope you redosed several more times with the panacur to get rid of the gapes. It's also possible they weakened your birds immune system and caused the E Coli to get out control in their system.

3. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    Oh Cripes! Now I have to worry about e-coli!!! I'm still fighting other stuff [​IMG] And the way things have been going that's next on the list.
    What are the symptoms of e-coli. Hope your birds are getting better.

4. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Quote:E Coli has symptoms like alot of other diseases and parasites. The closest I can think of would be like symptoms of cocci. Except when my JG roo had E Coli, he also had runny green/yellow diarrhea.

5. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    Thanks everyone
    no eggs for a few weeks then:(
    The symptoms came on really fast ; in a few hours; swollen eyes, trouble breathing, diarrhea (white),
    it just seemed to attack everything at once or cause lots of symptoms the one died within 12 hours,[​IMG]
    Looked like a respiratory illness to be fair , hence the Baytril.
    According to test results she had no white blood cells left, so no way of fighting it off as it was a very strong type of E coli.(probably weakened by Gape worm as Dawg said.)
    Yes the panacur is to be repeated after 10 days.
    I think i might ban them from going outside it's too dangerous!!

Last edited: Nov 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by