Egg withdrawal time for Trimeth Sulfa?

Allegra17

Chirping
Mar 18, 2022
Hello. My hen is on Trimeth sulfa for a respiratory infection for 2 weeks (we are about 5 days in). How long do I have to wait to eat her eggs? She’s not laying currently but I’m wondering for when she starts back up again. People at the vet told me different things - someone said 2 months, another said 90 days, and I just called back again and now they said 5 months. Is that right? When I google it, it says 10 days. I have babies at home that I am feeding these eggs to (along with myself) so I want to err on the side of caution but 3-5 months sounds like a very long time.

I am not sure about Trimeth sulfa but my chicken is on an antibiotic now and I was told from the vet to discard the eggs for 7 days after last dose.

Probably too late to be useful, but I just found a 2021 study suggesting 43 days (!) for this combination. Clicking on the open manuscript to read the details I must admit I'm not sure exactly what the FDA tolerance entails. And the summary notes this is likely pretty conservative.

Egg residue and depletion in Rhode Island Red hens (Gallus gallus domesticus) following multiple oral doses of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole

It's only one article and used results from only 12 hens. But it's more up to date than a lot of stuff and pharmacokinetics vary so much between different antibiotics it's good to read something specific to this one. And it's not like this is going to get a lot of funding for more studies.

My hen just finished a 10 day course and I intend to throw her eggs away for the full 6 weeks (which is what my vet recommended). But I'm allergic to this particular antibiotic so I'm willing to be conservative.

I've discovered the trick of putting food coloring around her vent and I can tell which eggs are hers :D

I've discovered the trick of putting food coloring around her vent and I can tell which eggs are hers :D
This is an amazing tip! Do you put the food coloring on every day or is it just a one time thing? What does the egg she lays look like with the food coloring?

Probably too late to be useful, but I just found a 2021 study suggesting 43 days (!) for this combination. Clicking on the open manuscript to read the details I must admit I'm not sure exactly what the FDA tolerance entails. And the summary notes this is likely pretty conservative.

Egg residue and depletion in Rhode Island Red hens (Gallus gallus domesticus) following multiple oral doses of trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole

It's only one article and used results from only 12 hens. But it's more up to date than a lot of stuff and pharmacokinetics vary so much between different antibiotics it's good to read something specific to this one. And it's not like this is going to get a lot of funding for more studies.

My hen just finished a 10 day course and I intend to throw her eggs away for the full 6 weeks (which is what my vet recommended). But I'm allergic to this particular antibiotic so I'm willing to be conservative.

This helped me! Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom