egg without a shell?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lablover, Jan 12, 2013.

1. lablover

lablover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2012
    Yesterday one of my hens laid an egg without a shell. The whole thing was formed, it wasn't just the yolk. It just lacked the outer shell. What caused it?

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Soft shelled or shell-less eggs are usually caused by stress, lack of calcium in the hen's diet, or in some cases disease. Occasionally a hen may have a little hiccough in her system and the egg will pass through too quickly and not have time to get it's shell coating. Unless it happens often, I won't worry about it.

3. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    sumi is right. Also, shell-less eggs are also seen in some pullets new to laying. I had a new pullet who laid a shell-less egg, and then no more shell-less eggs.

4. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    They've been laying for about 5 months now. When they first started, I did have one come out as just the yolk basically. But this one just did not have a shell. They have oyster shells available, and usually their egg shells are rather hard, thick to break, etc.

5. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    It's probably that the egg just came out too fast, like sumi said.

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I get these on and off, usually from new layers. She just forgot to put the shell on, not to fret. It's just a glitch and doesn't mean you need to change anything in your management. Now, if it happens regularly, you'd need to look at the specific hen's future as a layer. But a once in a while thing's no biggie.

I just HATE reaching in the nest box and touching one of those! It's all soft and squishy and rubbery..........[​IMG] they give me the willies!

7. lablover

Apr 7, 2012
    I KNOW! Gross![​IMG]

I had a feeling that it was just a glitch, but I had to make sure.[​IMG] Thanks everyone!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by