egg without a shell

indiasmom

Hatching
11 Years
Mar 8, 2008
sad.png
I feed my neighbors 3 coops of sad chickens. One coop is older chickens and 2 pathetic ducks and the other two are pullets. The younger ones started laying a few weeks ago. This AM when I was feeding them, there was an egg in the nest that didn't have a shell. I told the owner and she said they need oyster shells but they don't have any. Unfortunately the chickens aren't a high priority on their farm. They all hate chickens but like the eggs. I love those chickens. The younger ones are so friendly and let me hold them and pet them. I so want my own chickens but until then I have to placate myself with their chickens. What can I give them instead of oyster shells, if that's what they need?

I save store eggs (my girls just started laying so I am still buying...
roll.png
) until I have enough to 'do a bunch' - and then stick them in the oven when I have something baking. Crush and feed. I also have boiled, crushed it all together - shell and all and fed back some of their own eggs. I didn't feel like I needed to 'bake the germs' off their own eggs - figured the boiling water would take care of it.
They LOVE it!

also, if you're so inclined you can get oyster shell for about .60 a pound in bulk at your local feed store, if they sell it in bulk. Maybe they will reimburse you if you buy it, but youre not really out anything if they dont. Just a thought. Do they give you eggs? If so, then it would be worth it to you to just buy it anyway.

Thank you everyone. I thought about gving them crushed egg shells. I think I'll try that. They aren't getting enough eggs to give me any. The 12 older hens only lay one or two eggs a day total. Most of them have no feathers to speak of. They aren't happy. The younger ones are just starting to lay. I get 4 or 5 eggs from them a day. They seem to be happier. They greet me evey day and actually love to be petted. I feel so bad for them though. They are in filthy coops with sawdust on the floor and in the nest boxes. The roofs leak and they won't let me let them outside ever. When I try to talk to them about the chickens they keep reminding me that I am a city girl. I told the that I've been reading this forum for almost a year and they just scoff. I know I'll take much better care of my chickens when I get them.

Quote:
Thats so crapy !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why wont they let them outside ????? Is there a reason ???? I would say screw that and let them out, ask the owners if they would like to be locked in a dirty place and never see the outside !!!! What a**'*

Back
Top Bottom