1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Egg without shell?!?!?! Help, I am worried!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Nuggetsowner:), Feb 4, 2008.

1. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    I went to check eggs this afternoon when I got home and found the STRANGEST thing! There was an egg. I believe it was from my Little Red that had no shell. It was just the membrane type thing, it was soft but had a definate egg form. If need be I could do pictures. My girls have never done this before! Is it something I should worry about? Normally I have nice thick shells that do not crack easily. The shells have not been thin on any of the eggs so even if it wasn't Little Red ??? (the size is what makes me believe it was her) Anyone heard of this happening! Help, I am worried!!

2. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    Give them calcium. That happens sometimes. Is she a fairly new layer? I've had it happen a couple of times

3. DrumStick

DrumStick Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2007
    Lets see some pics.

4. Nuggetsowner:)

Nuggetsowner:) Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Minnesota
    Little Red did start laying only about a month ago. I have gotten almost an egg a day. I can tell by the size and color. She does get plenty of calcium through her "layer" feed and I also give them oyster shell -just a dish set out that I refill as needed. I am glad that it is not something unheard of. I will try to get pics. I am in the middle of helping the boys with homework. Mom-first. Chicken Lady- second. Thanks for putting my mind at ease though!!

5. miss_thenorth

miss_thenorth Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2007
    SW Ont, Canada
    Occasionally I get a soft-shelled egg. Twice i got them in the poop tray--its; like they are not expecting it to come out. I feed them layer pellets that have calcium in it, so I just say its a fluke.

6. SweetLilRachy00

SweetLilRachy00 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 30, 2007
    Simpsonville, SC
    I found the biggest egg I've ever seen yesterday, and next to it was just a big glob of the egg whites next to it. Not sure if this the same thing, but I would assume that's normal...

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 26, 2007
    Longmont, CO
    It takes a while for their systems to get regulated correctly. I still get them once in a while.

FYI layer ration doesn't have enough calcium in it. Have extra on the side so they will eat it when they need it. Mine has calcium in it to, but they still eat the extra like candy right now, and yes, they need it.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2008
  8. bigzio

bigzio Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Chickens need for vitamin D is tied into the need for calcium and phosphorus. It is important to provide oyster shells and saved egg shells to provide this need.
    Sometimes you will see little pimples on the egg shells, and if you pick them off you create a small hole in the egg. This is a result of too much calcium.....something that is caused by a hen that eats more than she needs. Just simply keep those for your use and not to freak out others not in the know, and not to worry...You just gotta love those pretty hens!

bigzio

9. fluffhead

fluffhead Out Of The Brooder

Dec 5, 2007
    Berkeley, CA
    i got my first rubbery egg this morning. it looks and feels much like a water balloon. i am both grossed out and fascinated. i was really worried that she had a severe calcium deficiency (i didn't realize until this morning that layer feed would not be adequate), so i hard boiled a bunch of eggs and fed her some shells. now it sounds like maybe this happens frequently when they are new layers and still getting the plumbing working well, so i'm not quite as concerned. i am definitely picking up oyster shell tomorrow, though.

anyone know if garden supply stores might have oyster shell? i know it's used to raise pH in gardens.. anyone know if it's the same kind that's safe to feed to chickens?

i am, unfortunately, a bit of a long drive from a feedstore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by