Egg without shell??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Ninamm, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Ninamm

Ninamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Sunnyvale, Ca
    Went to gather my eggs this morning and found an egg with out the shell on it.

So what causes this to happen? Thanks. I'll post a picture in a moment.

Thanks.

2. Corny Caleb

Corny Caleb Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2014
    NJ
    That has happened too me three times. Once it was because My chicken was not getting enough calcium, the second, it was just a really young hen who had laid her first egg and she was just getting started. (first layers some times lay weird eggs, some super small, some without yolk, some with out shell). Another one was was sick which is why it laid a shell-less eggs. So is the hen getting calcium? is this her first time laying ? Is she ill?

3. Ninamm

Ninamm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Sunnyvale, Ca
    I don't know which he laid it as I have 8. They get oyster shells and plenty of feed and veggies too. They shell was just a skin next to it. It was like someone just cracked an egg in the nest box.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    It just happens sometimes. It's probably not too little calcium unless it starts to happen a lot. Otherwise, it's just a glitch in the system.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    If it's a new layer, it's normal. It can also be normal for a hen coming back from her molt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by