Egg without yolk

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Feathere6Girls, Nov 21, 2014.

1. Feathere6Girls

Feathere6Girls New Egg

Feb 7, 2012
    My sweet sexink Gertie is my best and most consistent layer but every so often she lays the tiniest perfect egg without a yolk. Anyone ever experience this?

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I've heard of that, but never seen one.

3. Nupe

Nupe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    They call those wind eggs or fart eggs.

4. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    I thought fart eggs were just small, but have a yolk?

5. Nupe

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    Out of this article:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/common-egg-quality-problems

[​IMG]
    14. Fart egg aka fairy egg, witch egg, rooster egg or oops eggs

These tiny eggs may or may not have a yolk. Yolk-less fart eggs are often called rooster eggs. These little eggs are often much darker than normal, as they spend more time in the shell gland pouch and gets an extra layer or two of pigment. These yolk-less eggs sometimes form when:

- The hen's oviduct releases a small piece of reproductive tissue or another small foreign mass enters the hen's oviduct, triggering the regular formation of an egg. The foreign object will be treated like a normal yolk and enveloped in albumen, membranes and a shell;

- Occasionally a hen will also lay a fart egg when something disturbs her reproductive cycle;

- Young pullets may lay a fart egg or two when coming into lay and is still getting their reproductive systems in gear.

6. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    Thanks for the link, had not found that one. Love learning.

7. Nupe

Jun 13, 2014
    Georgia
    NP. This was one of those little tidbits of info I ran into while researching and building my gameplan before ordering my chicks. I have to admit the term "fart egg" amused me so I had to look it up. I haven't seen one myself yet as my girls are just now maturing. Only one has started to lay.

8. sunflour

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    When mine first started laying - all 3 BR's laid tiny quail sized eggs…but the BO's all 3 started with large to extra large ones. I only ever got 2 double yolkers, one was fart egg size.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by