egg wont hardboil

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lesterlu, May 5, 2009.

1. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    ok, i boil the eggs for 20 minutes and the white stays soft.

anyone come across this?

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

HMMMM!!

No Clue. How odd!

Is the egg white clear and soft or white and soft?

Is it possible that your timer is malfunctioning?

Are you at a high altitude? Could that be a factor?

Imp

3. Superman11383

Superman11383 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Bunnell, Florida
    you must not be holding you mouth right or something

4. lesterlu

lesterlu Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2008
    maine
    thanks for replying. the egg white is white, a tiny bit translucent. they are jumbo sized, but i thought 20 minutes is a long time since typically i boil other eggs for 15. the hen has been in a cage at night after worming medicine a couple of weeks ago and waiting for a new coop this week. so i usually wash the eggs in hot water and soap then into the fridge. just thought this was strange.

5. CTChickenMom

CTChickenMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 5, 2009
    SE Connecticut
    From my experience, I was told to put the eggs in a pan of water and then bring it to a boil. Once boiling, let it continue boiling for 10 minutes (for store bought eggs, would probably need 15-20 for jumbos). At that point, shut off the heat and let the eggs sit in the hot water for another 15 minutes. I chill mine in an ice bath at this point so they stop cooking and then prepare them however.

Since I've been using fresh eggs, any way I cook them seems to take longer because the yolks are so big (and I can't do wet yolk [​IMG]) I think if you add a bit of vinegar to the water it's supposed to help reduce cracking.

6. Lov'emSouthernEggs

Lov'emSouthernEggs Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2009
    East Carolina
    I find that my eggs are better hard boiled at about 5 days old. They need to have some air in them. I also place eggs in cold water bring to a boil and boil for 10-15 minutes and follow up with an ice bath. Works beautifully.

Good luck. [​IMG]

7. LilRalphieRoosmama

LilRalphieRoosmama Officially Quacked

Oct 15, 2007
    Elyria, OH
    Here's a no-fail recipe: bring the water to a boil and then ladle the eggs in. Some may crack but they're still ok, or to prevent cracking, poke a hole in the big end with a needle and then put in the water. Once the water comes back to a boil, cook large eggs for 14 minutes; quail eggs for 10 minutes. Drain and place in cold or ice water. Keep draining the water and replacing with cold water until eggs are cool. Even eggs fresh out of the nest will peel easily.

I know it goes against everything we were ever told, but it really does work. I read this on another post a while ago and now it's the only way I'll do hard boiled eggs.

8. RainbowFlower

RainbowFlower Out Of The Brooder

Wow, that's a long time to boil eggs. I usually do hard boiled eggs for 5 minutes - put the egg in the cold water, bring to the boil, then time 5 minutes. 3 minutes for a soft boiled egg. But then I am at sea level, in Australia, so maybe we do it differently here?

I wonder whether the whites are not setting because the chickens are not eating enough protein. Isn't the setting of the white cooking the protein in the albumin? If they are not eating enough protein, the albumin may not contain the right protein molecules to set properly. Just a thought? Maybe someone who knows more about chemistry can comment further.

9. ArizonaNessa

ArizonaNessa Joyfully Addicted

Apr 7, 2009
    Texas
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. rigagirl

rigagirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2008
    churchville ny
    let water boil then put eggs in water for 15 min then put in cold water don't add vinegar it changes the texture of the white i have found, like it hasn't cooked enough. maybe i used too much but this works great you cant hard boil that days eggs and they peel great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by