Egg worries

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RooJi, Jan 7, 2015.

1. RooJi

RooJi Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2014
    California
    HI I free range my chickens and I live I the forest, they are getting to the age to lay and I'm nervous they will lay somewhere in the brush where they are susceptible to being attacked. One (my Aussie) has been squatting for about 4 days now whenever I go to pick her up and my problem child Ji (a dominique) looks like she is wanting to find places to nest. Also Ji has become kind of distant lately from the other two chickens. My youngest chicken, Sky (a FBCM) has been at the bottom of the pecking order until the last day or so and I think she has over thrown Ji who Is in between the 2 (Aussie and Sky) in status. Sky used to stick close to ji but ever since she has gotten a little bigger and moved past Ji in the pecking order she hangs with my Aussie now (whos top dog). Im worried about their sudden shift in behavior and when they will start laying eggs. I just want to make sure Ji isnt outcast or They ay their eggs somewhere that is not safe for them. Is there anything I can do?
    Thank you!!!

2. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    They want to be safe when they lay. Make sure the nests in the coop are clean and not too brightly lit. Put a golf ball or a decoy egg in one of the nests. That will encourage them to think that that place is safe. You might also keep them in their coop until around 11a.m. So that they cannot lay outside. Change of pecking order in young chickens~it happens. Hope this helps.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  3. RooJi

Oct 21, 2014
    California
    thank you so much! How long should I keep them in until 11? Until they are used to laying eggs there or always?

4. justplainbatty

justplainbatty Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    emmet MI
    Just until they get used to it.[​IMG]

5. RooJi

Oct 21, 2014
    California
    OK thank you I will do that then!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by