Egg Yolk on Coop Wall

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by PAchickengirl, Nov 28, 2012.

1. PAchickengirl

PAchickengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Went out this afternoon to change the water in the coop when I noticed there was yolk on the top of the waterer. The waterer is on the opposite end of the coop than the nesting boxes. Went inside to check things out, there was yolk on the wall about 12 inches above and 8 inches to the left of the waterer. Tere is a shelf above the area where the yolk is on the wall that sticks out about 6", so it would have been hard for a hen to lay an egg and have it fall against that wall. I am curious how it got there. Wondering if a predator was trying to take it? There wasn't any shell, and there were a few feathers in the straw. I hope I don't have an egg eater. I doubt I do, as there have been eggs sitting there a few hours previously,with no issues. When I go back out, I'll try to take a picture, and also look for tracks. Any suggestions are predicated. The run was open, and probably not as secure as it should be......

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  2. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    It probably rolled, or got rolled, off the shelf and broke. Then it would get gobbled up. Occasionally one will get broken and consumed - it doesn't mean you have egg eaters.

3. PAchickengirl

Oct 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Thought I'd add some pictures, so you can get a better idea of why I thought it didn't roll off shelf. (Though, who knows, it could have!)

View of the right side of the coop, with the nesting boxes, shelf, and waterer.

[​IMG]

Wall below, with waterer ^ Yolk is up there, about 12" from floor......

[​IMG]

Close up of apparent point of impact

[​IMG]

I just can't figure out how the egg could end up hitting there, with enough force to break it. The food dish is normally on the other side

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  4. PAchickengirl

Oct 22, 2012
    Central Pennsylvania
    Got my first green egg today. Chuckled that it probably explained the yolk on the wall.... My most mature Ee'er is the biggest ding bat I have ever seen! She probably freaked out when she laid the egg, ha ha. She panics quite easily, and is often seen running in circles, squakking!

Last edited: Nov 29, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by