Egg yolk on the outside of normal eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by SycolinWoodsChickens, Nov 18, 2010.

1. SycolinWoodsChickens

SycolinWoodsChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    In the past week I've gone out to collect eggs and in one nest I'll find a few duck eggs (which is OK since I have ducks) and some chicken eggs but there is a substance that looks like a broken yolk on a few of the eggs. Yesterday one of my SLW was sitting in the nest and when she got out all the eggs were covered with the goo. There is no evidence of egg eating - no broken shell at all.

What is it? Do I have one hen laying yolks in the nest? Or could something else be going on?

Just for more info we have 20 hens and got 18 eggs today so almost everyone seems to be laying normal eggs.

2. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Anyone?

3. Hillbilly Hen

Hillbilly Hen Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2009
    Newaygo Michigan
    Do you know if the SLW actually laid an egg? I am wondering if she may have an egg broken inside her? Maybe someone with more knowledge will be able to help. Good luck!

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    I've had this happen before. Usually this happens when a hen is laying "soft shell" eggs (shells so soft you sometimes can't even touch them without them breaking). The egg will break, and the hen will often eat all of the shell, and try to eat all of the goo, but will leave some smeared on the other eggs.

5. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Soft shell eggs make sense to me. I'm not 100% sure that she is laying. My SLW hate being handled I'll see if I can get her off the roost tonight to check her vent.

BTW, today same exact problem. How long can a hen be laying soft shelled eggs before I should worry that it is a permanent problem?

I think I need to grab a chair and spend some time this weekend sitting in the coop...

6. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    Quote:I've always just left them alone, replaced the bedding from every mess, and the soft shell eggs eventually disappear within a couple weeks. [​IMG]

7. Cheep

Cheep Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 17, 2010
    Sebastopol, CA
    Do you have any new layers?
    My 1st egg was smeared with yellow so bright that I thought it was egg yolk. However, as it happens, the most likely cause was that the dyeworks in the new-laying-hen weren't perfected yet.

8. SycolinWoodsChickens

May 3, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Do you have any new layers?

Yes, the entire flock were hatched May 17. Since November 1 I've been getting 13-18 eggs a day so I think everyone has probably laid at least a few eggs by now. Maybe someone in the flock is having spray painting issues. I have been looking for evidence of egg eating in the past week and I haven't seen anything.​

9. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    Sounds like an egg-eater. I've had the same problem. I saw a hen go into the nesting box and brake open the egg and eat the shell and everything. Then that got all the other eggs covered in yella' clue and everything stuck to it!!! I would suggest gathering eggs a few times everyday instead of just in the evening.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by