Egg yolk peritonitis AGAIN

jools2014

Songster
7 Years
Aug 7, 2014
Hi there,

It looks like one of my hens has got egg yolk peritonitis-this will be the fourth one I have lost since I first got hens 2.5yrs ago. I'm not sure what the first one died of, but the last two were definitely egg yolk peritonitis and I think this one is too. Is it usual to lose this many to that? They are all hybrid hens, and my vet says he sees loads with this. I just need to know I'm not doing anything wrong. They get layers pellets, grit, free range, well looked after, so why does this keep happening? They are just under 3yrs old now and chickens are supposed to live 5 years at least aren't they? How many would you expect to lose in 2.5 yrs- I started off with 6, when this one invariably dies I'll have only 2 of my original hens left!

This one sick hen hasn't laid an egg in months, but was fine otherwise, another of my hens doesn't seem to lay now either. The sick one was eating fine, and seemed ok except she just didn't want to perch with the others anymore. But now she is definitely ill. I really feel like giving up with chickens, I think after they've all gone I won't get any more. I hate seeing them get this problem, it doesn't matter to me if they lay or not I just don't want them to get egg peritonitis!

Amoxycillin and clavenauic acid. Synulux niroclav 250 gram X2daily. If huge drain sepsis. Delvosterone injection to stop laying. Then implant suprelorin.or ir will just return

Hi there,

It looks like one of my hens has got egg yolk peritonitis-this will be the fourth one I have lost since I first got hens 2.5yrs ago. I'm not sure what the first one died of, but the last two were definitely egg yolk peritonitis and I think this one is too. Is it usual to lose this many to that? They are all hybrid hens, and my vet says he sees loads with this. I just need to know I'm not doing anything wrong. They get layers pellets, grit, free range, well looked after, so why does this keep happening? They are just under 3yrs old now and chickens are supposed to live 5 years at least aren't they? How many would you expect to lose in 2.5 yrs- I started off with 6, when this one invariably dies I'll have only 2 of my original hens left!

This one sick hen hasn't laid an egg in months, but was fine otherwise, another of my hens doesn't seem to lay now either. The sick one was eating fine, and seemed ok except she just didn't want to perch with the others anymore. But now she is definitely ill. I really feel like giving up with chickens, I think after they've all gone I won't get any more. I hate seeing them get this problem, it doesn't matter to me if they lay or not I just don't want them to get egg peritonitis!
I have had chickens for 4 years, and I have only seen one suspected case of EYP. Ninety percent of mine came from hatcheries as chicks. I think it depends on the breeds you chose. I was reading an article on salpingitis (which is related to EYP) recently, and vent pecking by other chickens is one main cause of that. It probably makes more sense to buy heritage breeds who lay fewer eggs, and if they tend to be healthy, breed your own chicks from those. The more eggs a hen lays, the more reproductive problems she can get. Antibiotics such as Baytril may help fight infection and prolong the lives of hens with EYP/internal laying.

Thanks for the replies, very helpful links and info. The first year I had chickens they laid very well, but for the last few months none of them have been laying very well at all. I get a few eggs from one of my old ones, and my new Buff Orpingtons, but it's been very cold recently so laying has dropped even more.

When I decided on chickens I got hybrids as they were what they had at most places-I didn't think of getting pure breeds, but I think now if I got any more I definitely wouldn't get hybrids-getting a lot of eggs isn't important, they are just pets mostly. It's not like they're even laying anyway!

The chicken seems better today, still not well but better than yesterday. Off to the vet with her I think. It may not be egg yolk peritonitis. Last time I took a chicken to the vet he barely looked at her, decided it was most probably EYP and I had to have her euthanized, but he says he sees so many cases of that a week, so I guess it really is very common, depending on the breed anyway.

Just ask for some antibiotics to treat her if he thinks it could be EYP. They can prescribe some powerful ones where most can't get the better ones at feed stores.

Back
Top Bottom