Egg Yolk Peritonitis - cull or cure?

Dragon Lady

Songster
6 Years
Mar 23, 2013
I posted this over in the emergencies thread and was suggested to post my enquiry with fellow turkey folks.

3 year old Rachel (narrigansett hen) has a swollen abdomen. Lost her appetite but acting normal. Wings are droopy and she is very quiet compared to her usual vocal self.
At first I thought she was egg bound but 2 baths later and no egg and her swelling got quite bad.
I noticed her legs had changed colour at the beginning of the month, I suspect that was my first clue and I missed it :-/ the peritonitis is likely pushing on her heart causing the colour change in her circulation.
She lost a lot of weight this month.

I read up on here and started giving her Tetracycline plus giving her a few drops of mineral oil in water twice each day. I took a gamble and gave her an enema with a syringe of mineral oil as well.

So far she is looking brighter, and more active.

I just watched a youtube video necropsy of the yuck that came out of a chicken with the same problem.....

Can I cure my Rachel???

I have no advice about curing her as I haven't dealt with it before. We tend to cull for most problems, especially if it appears to be suffering. I wish you luck. Hopefully she will improve for you. It sounds like you have a plan.

Rachel has been on tetracycline hydrochloride for a few days now. Her abdomen is still swollen but she is more active, she was waiting at the coop door for me this morning. :)

Her appetite is better too, she enjoys a big bowl of turkey starter as a mash with some of the antibiotics and electrolytes with some yoghurt mixed in to help her along.

She is desperately skinny, absolutely no meat on her bones at all.

Her legs are still a deep pinky colour and occasionally I see her gasp for breath (when she eats or exerts herself).
The leg colouring I'm certain is linked to the swollen belly and pressure on her heart.

She's my girl, I know she may not survive too long but she is still enjoying her time in the company of her tom and the other hen. If she shows signs of stress or discomfort I know I will have to call it to end her suffering.

this pic was taken a few weeks ago when she was giving Thomas the run around

Aww, she's so pretty and feisty too. Keep it up, you just never know, sometimes it works out. Sending some luck your way.

Back
Top Bottom