Egg Yolk Peritonitis versus Cancer causing swelling of abdomen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by cgtara3, Feb 2, 2012.

1. cgtara3

cgtara3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Traverse City, MI
    I had to have a favorite bird, Sweet Pea, euthanized today. She was our lone survivor of several attacks on our original flock, and quite the little character. It was so sad. We miss her cute little presence and her sweet little sounds. She had a distended belly and was not eating for the past few days. We took her to the vet, who did some x-rays, and drew some fluid out of her abdomen. The fluid had a brownish/red color, and was full of infection. The x-ray did not really show anything resembling a lodged egg in the way blocking anything--so there was all of this fluid everywhere. The vet told me he was not sure if it was egg yolk peritonitis or from some cancer, but that she did not have much of a chance at survival. My question is, if anyone ever has had any success with a problem like this, and the other question is: what could prevent egg yolk peritonitis--if anything?

Last edited: Feb 3, 2012
  2. cgtara3

cgtara3 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2009
    Traverse City, MI
    We called the vet today, and he said that he recommended making sure they have lots of calcium in their diet to prevent the eyp--if that was the cause. What did I learn from this: Don't let your birds gorge on treats. If they do, and there is not enough calcium in their diet, they will suffer consequences that you don't want to see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by