egg yolk peritonitis

Ingavid

Chirping
May 30, 2020
My hen Darthi has lost 3 lbs over the last 6 weeks. I have tried to get some answers from 2 different veterinarians without much success. One vet did not know what those two round opacities are in the x-ray (one is underneath the thighbone) The other online vet said it looked like egg yolk peritonitis.
Darthi has been eating, drinking and pooping normally and otherwise her behavior is normal, foraging with my other 3 hens. She has laid 2 shell less eggs in the past, a couple months ago. Not sure if she is laying now as I get 2 to 3 eggs daily from 4 hens.
So my understanding is that I should treat with antibiotics. I would like to use injectable as it is not possible for me to separate her from the other hens unless I keep her in a 3x3 cage. My question is what antibiotic should I use and should I also use an anti-inflammatory. She has hardly any breast tissue left so I would probably have to inject subcutaneously. I live in Colorado so could probably get the antibiotic OTC at Tractor Supply. If I inject, how many doses?
Thank you for your help, I am at a loss as to what to do.

Attachments

• IMG-0784.JPG
    IMG-0784.JPG
    332 KB · Views: 38
I'm not a vet nor an expert, but I'll take a guess along with the vets. It looks like 2 eggs or egg shaped masses (Lash Eggs?) are in the Oviduct.
With EYP, the objects/eggs would be in the Coelomic cavity.

I'd say Salpingitis.
If you lose her, then a necropsy would give you the best answers.

Antibiotics are not a cure. They may help with inflammation and can be a part of support care measures you administer to her to make her more comfortable for a while.
Very likely she is not laying eggs. You can give Baytril which is ordered online. It is given orally twice a day, but she can remain with the flock, just pull her quickly to administer meds. Amoxicillin would be another choice. It's also given orally twice a day.

Monitor her to see that she's eating/drinking, her crop is emptying and that she doesn't get lice/mites. Sounds like she's still active and moving about. I'd leave her to live out her days with her flock until she can no longer go, then kindly put her down.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10

I'm not a vet nor an expert, but I'll take a guess along with the vets. It looks like 2 eggs or egg shaped masses (Lash Eggs?) are in the Oviduct.
With EYP, the objects/eggs would be in the Coelomic cavity.

I'd say Salpingitis.
If you lose her, then a necropsy would give you the best answers.

Antibiotics are not a cure. They may help with inflammation and can be a part of support care measures you administer to her to make her more comfortable for a while.
Very likely she is not laying eggs. You can give Baytril which is ordered online. It is given orally twice a day, but she can remain with the flock, just pull her quickly to administer meds. Amoxicillin would be another choice. It's also given orally twice a day.

Monitor her to see that she's eating/drinking, her crop is emptying and that she doesn't get lice/mites. Sounds like she's still active and moving about. I'd leave her to live out her days with her flock until she can no longer go, then kindly put her down.

https://allbirdproducts.com/products/baytril-10
Thanks for your reply. She was active, eating, drinking,foraging till the last day. I had to separate her from my other 3 hens as they started pecking her, causing a wound on top of her head. I nursed her as best I could but she passed away this morning. I was with her as she took her last breath.

Thanks for your reply. She was active, eating, drinking,foraging till the last day. I had to separate her from my other 3 hens as they started pecking her, causing a wound on top of her head. I nursed her as best I could but she passed away this morning. I was with her as she took her last breath.
I'm sorry :hugs

Back
Top Bottom