Egg Yolk Peritonitis?

ClareScifi

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2011
Can anyone tell me the symptoms of egg yolk peritonitis?

Would it sometimes show up on an egg shell a hen has laid as dried egg yolk strands on the outside of the egg shell?

When an egg breaks inside a hen, what causes that, and would some of that egg yolk from that broken egg inside her likely show up on the outside of the next egg shell she lays?

Thanks for your help.

If anyone has a picture of an egg like this, or knows of a site with that type of photographs, I would love to see it.

Clare

I am not sure what egg yolk peritonitus, sorry I can not be of help there!

What usually causes an egg to break inside of a hen, is when she is handled roughly. I.e., somebody drops her or something. I had a hen once that was egg bound. What this is, is when there Is a blockage and the egg gets stuck inside the hen. Hens have eggs everyday, so if there is an egg stuck for days, she could have tons of eggs inside of her that she cannot lay! This is very painful for aa hen. What you can do, is give her a bath in warm water, and this sometimes helps with the production of the egg. What we did is we took our silkie hen to the vet, and they were gonna put her under, stick a needle up under her, suck out the insides of the egg, break the shell, and the shell would come out when she went to the bathroom. Well, long story short, she was not an experienced bird vet and she gave her too much anesthesia and she died :(

Okay, enough with me and my chickens, lol. Is there a specific problem that you need help on?

What do you think the odds are that another hen laid an egg on top of this hen's and it cracked and the yolk splattered onto this egg and then a chicken or cat ate all the rest of the cracked egg, shell and all, and the leftover yolk from the cracked egg just stained this one?

How long would it take for the chicken to show signs of distress if she did have an egg break inside her?

Can anyone tell me the symptoms of egg yolk peritonitis?

Would it sometimes show up on an egg shell a hen has laid as dried egg yolk strands on the outside of the egg shell?

When an egg breaks inside a hen, what causes that, and would some of that egg yolk from that broken egg inside her likely show up on the outside of the next egg shell she lays?

Thanks for your help.

If anyone has a picture of an egg like this, or knows of a site with that type of photographs, I would love to see it.

Clare
Usually the oviduct carries the yolk from the ovary to gradually form an egg over approximately 24 hours. During this time, the white, egg membranes and shell are formed around the yolk. In chickens with damage to their oviducts the egg does not form properly and the yolk is laid internally into the abdomen. These yolks can be absorbed over time but in most cases the chicken lays them internally faster than they can be absorbed resulting in a build-up within the abdomen. This enlarges the abdomen and causes the chicken to experience discomfort and often difficulty breathing. In order to help relieve the pressure on the abdomen the hen may adopt an upright penguin-like stance.

My hen's symptoms were that she wouldn't sit on the roost, but instead would stand with her eyes closed. She would be off by herself with eyes half-closed. Her abdomen was bright red (obvious when I gave her an epsom salt bath) and the abdomen felt hard and swollen.

Back
Top Bottom