Egg yolk recipes

Ballerina Bird

Songster
5 Years
Aug 29, 2014
My partner (we'll call him Mr. Ballerina Bird) likes fat-free foods, so he loves stuff like angel food cakes and meringues and divinity, anything made with egg whites, but he won't touch egg yolks. Does anyone have recipes they like that feature yolks only? I am especially good at baking and desserts, so am looking in particular for those kinds of recipes, but would be happy for (vegetarian) main dish suggestions as well. I feel I can only make so much lemon curd and am looking for other ideas. My girls work so hard at laying -- I just can't countenance getting rid of their beautiful yolks to accommodate Mr. Ballerina Bird's fat-free preference.

Home made mayo and hollandaise sauce. Tiramisu. Some cheesecakes use a fair amount of egg yolks. Beat them and brush on your breads, pie crusts, etc before baking. Beat with milk for a coating to dip before covering in flour or breadcrumbs. On recipes like scrambled eggs, frittata, quiche, make them richer by using some whole eggs and some yolks. Same for fried rice. Make decadent, rich French toast.

I went to Allrecipes, and used the search by ingredient feature. Simply entered egg yolk and came back with lots of varied recipes!

Forgot to add...You can drop a yolk or two in a smoothie to make it more filling. I never taste the eggs in smoothies.

Glad to help! I was running into the same problem as I make things like swiss meringue buttercream, white cakes and others recipes with just egg whites. :) So far, the majority of recipes I've tried have been pretty good.

Last edited:
Glad to help!  I was running into the same problem as I make things like swiss meringue buttercream, white cakes and others recipes with just egg whites.  :)  So far, the majority of recipes I've tried have been pretty good.

Sounds like you're a baker, like me! :)

Yes, I love to bake. I'd love to be a bakery chef as there is nothing more heavenly smelling than fresh baked breads. One thing I have to be careful of since I like to make breads and cakes from scratch is to not make them too often (lots of calories and sugar.) If you don't have them already, invest in 6" cake pans. You can take a lot of the cake recipes and cut the ingredients in half. That way, if you don't like a cake, you don't have a lot of money put in it. Also, if there isn't a lot of people in your family, you won't overeat on sweets for days like we do with the larger sized pans. :D

Also, if you haven't checked it out yet, http://www.kingarthurflour.com/recipes/ has some amazingly good bread recipes.

Back
Top Bottom