Egg yolks breaking Starting from old post read in 08 and 09

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by littlelady1, Oct 17, 2013.

1. littlelady1

littlelady1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    My hens are about two and a half yrs old. Their yolks and whites started out as thick and hard to break, now the whites are real runny and thin and the yolks break as soon as they touch the pan. We live in Florida so the heat gets up to the mid 80s now but was running 98 and up a month ago. I did read in the older thread that scratch will do this, and I do give them scratch. I will cut out the scratch for a while and see if that helps, but I guess my other worry is are they getting too old and what is too old for them. I have 9, two little bantams one bared rock one RIR and 5 speckled sussex and I have named them all and I just could imagine doing away with them this soon. Does anybody have any feed back. I really would appreciate it.[​IMG][​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If they're laying eggs, they're not too old.
    I would suspect nutrition. Until one really understands all the nutrient requirements of chickens, it's best to stick to a prepared chicken feed. Grower for non laying birds and layer for those producing eggs and keeping treats/scratch to less than 10% of the total intake.
    After that you can supplement. If giving more scratch, they need more protein and vitamin/mineral rich foods like sunflower seeds, meat and fish scraps, plain yogurt for starters.

It can also be things like infectious bronchitis but that would also mean fewer eggs as well.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/1/egg-quality-handbook/30/watery-whites Is The Poultry Site's page for Runny Whites. Besides nutrition, from what they say that seems to be related to your flock, it is often a high temperature or storage related problem, age of the egg, and age/strain of bird. 2.5 is not that old for a chicken in general, but it is at the upper age range for a chicken in a commercial flock. Do you leave eggs out at all or refrigerate as soon as possible?

4. littlelady1

Feb 11, 2013
    I keep Purina Layena in their run and feed them Black Oil Sunflower seeds with their scratch and its probably about a cup of scratch once a day between 7 hens. I've bought some Poultry Nutri-Drench which is vitamins you can put in their water or give it to them by mouth but I was a little worried about it. I will also look up the infectious bronchitis for signs to look for. Thanks you

5. littlelady1

Feb 11, 2013
    I refrigerate them as soon as I gather them which I go out there twice a day. If I'm baking something that evening for dinner then I leave them at room temperature in the counter. One of the signs for bronchitis is sneezing, I have heard one of my birds sneeze before but it wasn't continuously. Normally it would be when I let them out to free range and they are running around but all of them wouldn't be doing it. I am going to check for swelling around their eyes here in a few minutes to see if there is any. Man I sure hope not, I don't sell the eggs I just hate when there is something wrong with them it makes me feel so bad.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by